Slow Moving Targets

PanheadDan

Lazy afternoons when i leave work mean, no motivation to door knock or the will to investigate potential sites. So i fall back to the old park by my house, 40 acres with 200 + years of history and targets long forgotten. If you don't think outside the box here, you may leave with a sack full of clad and hot rocks, or pull tabs and and foil depending on what yer digging. I have been hitting the woods, and digging it all. lows, mids and highs that come in clean. basically swinging on the trunks of trees to see if any detectors have skipped over targets left at the base. Under rocks, directly in the walking path, just everywhere. In the last three days i started finding tons of old shotgun stamps, the old lead rounds, and then the coins and relics. I think i have gotten onto an area of the park that has been concealed or inaccessible to some, and will continue to produce. I am going to focus on this for the next day or two and really let my ear do the driving. See below, all found within the same 20 foot area. 1896 injun, 1911 V nickle (2nd ever), 2 wheats (not pictured), and a child's silver plated spoon. I will report back if the ground gives up. HAPPY HUNTING!

Attachments

• IMG_6562.JPG
    IMG_6562.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_6576.jpg
    IMG_6576.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_6571.JPG
    IMG_6571.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_6572.JPG
    IMG_6572.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_6575.jpg
    IMG_6575.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 462
Lazy afternoons when i leave work mean, no motivation to door knock or the will to investigate potential sites. So i fall back to the old park by my house, 40 acres with 200 + years of history and targets long forgotten. If you don't think outside the box here, you may leave with a sack full of clad and hot rocks, or pull tabs and and foil depending on what yer digging. I have been hitting the woods, and digging it all. lows, mids and highs that come in clean. basically swinging on the trunks of trees to see if any detectors have skipped over targets left at the base. Under rocks, directly in the walking path, just everywhere. In the last three days i started finding tons of old shotgun stamps, the old lead rounds, and then the coins and relics. I think i have gotten onto an area of the park that has been concealed or inaccessible to some, and will continue to produce. I am going to focus on this for the next day or two and really let my ear do the driving. See below, all found within the same 20 foot area. 1896 injun, 1911 V nickle (2nd ever), 2 wheats (not pictured), and a child's silver plated spoon. I will report back if the ground gives up. HAPPY HUNTING!
Nice digs!!! You're right about scanning those tree bases. Last week dug an old merc right at the base of 100+ yr old park that has been pounded for decades. I was shocked it was still there after all these years. Also scan those large roots above the ground. I'm finding coins beneath them.

Big old parks take ALOT of time to go through,it looks like you have a plan! I'd rather have that Indian than 20 clad quarters...just how I am. IMO you're nowhere NEAR done...and it's close to home!:grin:

I know for sure Barber dimes have been found in those woods, and the landowner back in the civil war years supposedly buried a big cache of gold around there too.
There are rumors about gold caches everywhere in every state at many sites so I don't know about that but I know for sure those Barbers were real.
I need to come over and find me just one...you can have the rest.
But not the Barber half that is buried up there somewhere...that one is mine! :laughing:

Nice digs!!! You're right about scanning those tree bases. Last week dug an old merc right at the base of 100+ yr old park that has been pounded for decades. I was shocked it was still there after all these years. Also scan those large roots above the ground. I'm finding coins beneath them.

you are very right. Also, im guilty of scanning the pathways lined with brick and stone, pulled a few sidewalk bricks up too when my machine tells me to lol. I always put the back as nice as they were to begin with.

Big old parks take ALOT of time to go through,it looks like you have a plan! I'd rather have that Indian than 20 clad quarters...just how I am. IMO you're nowhere NEAR done...and it's close to home!:grin:

Yea i have dug mercs and wheats in the most obvious places at this place too. Hitting it hard again today after work. I will report back!

I know for sure Barber dimes have been found in those woods, and the landowner back in the civil war years supposedly buried a big cache of gold around there too.
There are rumors about gold caches everywhere in every state at many sites so I don't know about that but I know for sure those Barbers were real.
I need to come over and find me just one...you can have the rest.
But not the Barber half that is buried up there somewhere...that one is mine! :laughing:

Dave, Dave, Dave.. I told you, the Barber halfs are mine. Im still gonna leave you a couple war nickles and wheats though..

Nice post. This is my kind of hunting. I see the Deus (or almost any other brand) guys swingin' that thing like it was a weed eater and I think, "how fun is that?". Give me an old park or field and a cool Autumn day and the steady rhythm of a good low and slow swing and a nice high tone every hour or so and I'll be happy.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice finds! Definitely hit around the trees. One of my best spills came from the edge of the hole of a long ago uprooted tree. I found 3 barber dimes and a v nickel. I am sure someone sat down by that tree sometime soon after 1916 and the coins fell from their pocket. I think my guess of the date because one of the dimes is 1916 and it is perfect!

Nice finds! Definitely hit around the trees. One of my best spills came from the edge of the hole of a long ago uprooted tree. I found 3 barber dimes and a v nickel. I am sure someone sat down by that tree sometime soon after 1916 and the coins fell from their pocket. I think my guess of the date because one of the dimes is 1916 and it is perfect!

That is an awesome spill. You got to think, that was probably some poor guys grocery money for the week and it just fell out only to be found by you a decade later. I bet he caught hell from his wife

Back
Top Bottom