Pinpointer

SandMan1130

What should I look for when buying a relatively low priced pinpointer on amazon? I don’t have much to spend and I’m new to hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and save up and buy a good one and spend about $100 +

Buy from a sponsor (Top Right Corner) get a quote

If I had to go the cheap route due to me not working, what would would you buy?

If I had to go the cheap route due to me not working, what would would you buy?

Save your money and get a quality pinpointer. Unemployment is frustratingly enough without a pinpointer that doesnt work well. Hope you are able to find work soon!

+1 I have to agree with the others. It's better to wait and get a good piece of equipment than to waste money on something that doesn't work well or doesn't last. While a pinpointer is nice to have and a good one helps save time while detecting it is not essential, it is a luxury. Have patience.

Another option is check the classifieds forums. Good equipment can be found at a good price.

Cliff

I understand money is an important factor, but buying a cheap pinpointer is pretty much throwing money away. There are a LOT of fake Garrett pinpointers you can buy on eBay or even Amazon. They may claim it's a Garrett, and it may look like a Garrett, but it's junk and you just threw your money away.

I'm not the most experienced here, but I have talked to a lot of very experienced hunters. They may disagree on the best detector, but they pretty much all agree on one or two top pinpointers and how important they are.

I'm not into reselling stuff, but I've seen quite a few good used pinpointers on Craigslist and other places. Most of the time they don't know what it is or how much it's worth. If you're tight on money you've got to hunt as hard for good used equipment as you would for that old silver buried deep.

-Joe

When I started I bought one of those $40 pinpointers. When I got a Garrett I couldn’t believe the difference it made. If you want to appreciate a good one go ahead and buy the cheap ones.

19811f495f32c9aa4730230bf1ef12b7.jpg
59048cf9ddcd51e8868b83f1fd6ae9b9.jpg

Finally got it!

Excellent choice. I have 2 of them, primary and a backup. Look closely and you will notice I have a tip protector on mine.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 266
I rolled this one for years and years, no problems whatsoever. Finally lost it, think I accidentally left it at one site or another. Upgraded to a biggie now but I'll always have a soft spot for this one's simplicity. This is the BH version, there's also the Fisher F-Point and a couple others, I believe.

metalloiskatel-fisher-f-point.jpg

cheap pin pointers that I have tried have had to be touching the target. Nothing like using a quality pin pointer. I had one of the HF models when I had a problem with my first one and it was a waste of the money I spent. I suspect those fake garrets will be the same. JUNK>

Yes but that's what the detector is for. I didn't mind doing more work on top to find the item quicker on the ground.

I rolled this one for years and years, no problems whatsoever. Finally lost it, think I accidentally left it at one site or another. Upgraded to a biggie now but I'll always have a soft spot for this one's simplicity. This is the BH version, there's also the Fisher F-Point and a couple others, I believe.

metalloiskatel-fisher-f-point.jpg

This one was the first pin pointer I had ever tried. It came with a Bounty Hunter detector. When I first used the pin pointer I became addicted. I found the range to be small on this one but it was pointed and you could stick it into the dirt clod and it would work. I now use an AT Max and a Garrett copy that I like real well. I am very satisfied with it if it holds up long enough. If it gives up the ghost I will go with the real Garrett.

Back
Top Bottom