• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Yay or Nay?

Mistersippi

Found this small old property that belongs to the United States Postal Service. It’s not being used anymore so I’m curious would this land be free to detect or should I stay away?

Attachments

• E619E4FC-23DA-4C14-9957-C7FF74D5F462.jpg
    E619E4FC-23DA-4C14-9957-C7FF74D5F462.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 518
It's alright with me.

Unless there are a bunch of official U.S. Post Office "no trespassing" signs. I would hit it until somebody in uniform told me not to. Then I'd come back on Sunday and hit it again. It doesn't look like they are doing anymore than cutting grass, I don't see why anyone would care. You never know Mailmen can be a strange lot.

If not posted I’d hit it. Taxpayers own it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's alright with me.

Unless there are a bunch of official U.S. Post Office "no trespassing" signs. I would hit it until somebody in uniform told me not to. Then I'd come back on Sunday and hit it again. It doesn't look like they are doing anymore than cutting grass, I don't see why anyone would care. You never know Mailmen can be a strange lot.

If not posted I’d hit it. Taxpayers own it.

Nice guys! That’s what I was thinking. Thanks!

MisterSippi : I'm glad you asked. Because it is I, yes I, that own all the post office property in the USA. And as such, I grant you permission to metal detect there. Just kindly send me 30% of everything you find.

No .... don't thank me. It's the least I can do for a fine fellow-forumite like yourself.

I say go for it. I always figure if it is public property it is fair game unless there is a sign or rule specifically saying no detecting.

The downtown post-office in my city was built in the 1930s. And has a small postage-stamp sized lawn out front. I got a few wheaties off that lawn, when I was first md'ing in the late 1970s or early 1980s. No one said diddly-squat to me. However, I'm sure that if I knocked on enough doors, and rattled enough cages "seeking clarification", that I could have found someone to have told me "no".

I am now grief-stricken with guilt :( Can someone please take these ill-gotten-wheat pennies away from me, so-as to absolve my conscience of all guilt ? :tissue:

The downtown post-office in my city was built in the 1930s. And has a small postage-stamp sized lawn out front. I got a few wheaties off that lawn, when I was first md'ing in the late 1970s or early 1980s. No one said diddly-squat to me. However, I'm sure that if I knocked on enough doors, and rattled enough cages "seeking clarification", that I could have found someone to have told me "no".

I am now grief-stricken with guilt :( Can someone please take these ill-gotten-wheat pennies away from me, so-as to absolve my conscience of all guilt ? :tissue:

Gasp, you removed coins from federal property. But how will the archaeologists ever know what happened there now lol. I view permission much as you do, if it is public and nothing is posted than just go for it. If you ask then somebody will eventually say no.

Gasp, you removed coins from federal property. But how will the archaeologists ever know what happened there now lol. ....

Yes. Which is exactly why I am now grief-stricken. Will you ever forgive me ? 1000 yrs. from now, I have "robbed future generations" from learning about their past.

I will have to eat an extra jelly donut tomorrow morning, as penance :tissue:

Yes. Which is exactly why I am now grief-stricken. Will you ever forgive me ? 1000 yrs. from now, I have "robbed future generations" from learning about their past.

I will have to eat an extra jelly donut tomorrow morning, as penance :tissue:

Your grief would likely disappear if you gave, say, 30 percent of those wheaties as a donation to the USPS :D

MisterSippi : I'm glad you asked. Because it is I, yes I, that own all the post office property in the USA. And as such, I grant you permission to metal detect there. Just kindly send me 30% of everything you find.

No .... don't thank me. It's the least I can do for a fine fellow-forumite like yourself.

Haha Tom you always give me a good laugh!

Detect that property and show us your finds!

That property was a bust because about a foot of dirt had been added but I did end up finding another nearby place and did pretty decent. I guess I’ll post in the stories and pictures thread since I had a couple first time finds if you wanna check it out!

Just know that land is protected by ARPA. Dont get caught

Just know that land is protected by ARPA. Dont get caught ...

Re.: ARPA : I never find coins older than 50 yrs. old. Do you ? My math is terrible by the way . No have I ever, in my 45-ish yrs. at this, EVER had anyone come up to me, armed with a calculator, to do the math on the ages of coins in my apron. :roll:

If this were an obvious historic sensitive monument park, then .... sure, be "worried about ARPA". But .... seriously now .... a vacant old USPS property ? I highly doubt this is an issue.

Re.: ARPA : I never find coins older than 50 yrs. old. Do you ? My math is terrible by the way . No have I ever, in my 45-ish yrs. at this, EVER had anyone come up to me, armed with a calculator, to do the math on the ages of coins in my apron. :roll:

If this were an obvious historic sensitive monument park, then .... sure, be "worried about ARPA". But .... seriously now .... a vacant old USPS property ? I highly doubt this is an issue.

Having worked for the USFS heritage department in the past ( four years of field work) I also would highly doubt that anybody would really care about an old vacant USPS lot. I mean technically they could get somebody for digging there but most of the Archaeologists I met couldn’t care less about stuff that was historic in nature. They were always more concerned about prehistoric sites.

Back
Top Bottom