Here's one for you Voriax

Brian

Elite Member
Any idea where this is from ?  Got tempted back to the harbour and this came out of the mud. Hammered silver. The reverse is similar but even more worn. Same border but what looks Islamic writing.
Thanks if you can help

Brian (scan is twice life size)

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 257
I surrender! :(

Well, it looks to be too neat for a hammered arabic coin. And it lacks the usual excerpts from Quran. Was thinking bit more towards far east... Can you post a pic of the reverse? Maybe it would be possible to identify the writing, is it really arabic.

Voriax

Reverse side.
I sprayed it then rubbed off to bring the detail up. There's a slight crimped pattern round the edge like a milled coil but its only the thickness of a hammered groat.
Sorry I should have revolved it a bit but not certain which way is up !

Attachments

• scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 235
Ok, an update. If you look at this pic it seems to have pretty similar 'curvy thingy' as your coin.. This one is from Hyderabad, India and fairly new (100 years old or so). So that suggests your coin is from that neighbourhood.

Voriax

Attachments

• hyde.JPG
    hyde.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 218
Well it is hammered and its got to be Indian perhaps of one of the Mughal Emperors who ruled from 1600 as being Muslim they didn't approve of having their images on coins.
Akbar had 100 mohur coins that weighed 2.25 lbs and a 1000 mohur gold coin was found in1987 that weighed 25 lbs. At the time in was valued at 10 million dollars. Don't suppose anyone with a detector would have dug it due to the size.
Thanks for you help Voriax. I've got bad muscular degeneration in one eye and searching through hundreds of sites on the computer really aggravates it.

Having said definitely Indian I spotted a match for the script thats Islamic Ottoman Imperial Tughra script. Its an Empire that butted up to India at one time so things are still in the balance.

Now for anyone in the U.S. who thinks there is nothing really old to find how about evidence of the Muslim presence in the U.S. 500 years before Columbus ?
A North African Islamic hoard of hundreds of copper/silver alloy coins was found under a stone slab in Massachusetts in 1787.
As they were not recognised as having any value everyone passing by helped themselves to a handful. Find was made during road building between Cambridge and Malden (became Route 16).
The actual site is of no importance, more the fact that all the locals who had some coins thought of as having no value would no doubt pass them on to the kids to play with so there could be dozens of loses all round the area. Old school yards no doubt had their share.

Kinda funny...I was just browsing through the Fitzwilliam museum's online collection of Ottoman coins and found this:
6 piastre coin, issued during reign of Mahmud II in 1809 - 1832. Qustantinya mint.

Might actually be some other nomination, kinda hard to determine because your coin is so worn out. Exact diameter might help. 38mm perhaps?

Pics:

Attachments

• 6p(1).jpg
    6p(1).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 6p(2).jpg
    6p(2).jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 209
Thats the exact coin both sides apart from mine is 28mm.
Also your excellent picture suggests a thicker coin with no sign of the slight milled edge.
I'll check out the Fitzwilliam when I get back today. Got to go forth into the driving rain and see what the wind has done to the local beaches. With a bit of luck the streams will have swelled to rivers and stripped down to the bedrock.

Back
Top Bottom