Other "Hobbies"

don716

What are some of the other hobbies you have other than metal detecting? Myself I like woodworking. I've been making small items in my shop for years now and love working with my hands. I make wooden pens and wooden bowls and other small items. Here is a picture of some of my pens.

Attachments

• Pens 002.JPG
    Pens 002.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 211
Wonderful pens! I enjoy wood burning although I'm still not very talented. I have learned to use lighter stains at least. This was my first project.

DSCN0695.jpg

My wife loves lighthouses so that's all I've burned so far!

I love kayaking and photography/videography.

Those are some beautiful pens! What type of wood is in the first pic?

Tried wood burning before and I didn't have the talent for it at all. You are doing great with it.

Doug

I used to collect comics (well, Batman comics at least) and have a decent collection ranging back from 1956 or so.

I've been designing an Axis and Allies board for years, but I doubt it will ever be done lol

Those pens are so awesome.

I don't have any pictures to contribute but I like to game on my PC. I just rebuilt my system last night. Replaced my crappy case with an Antec 300 and it solved my stability issues. I'm playing BFBC 2 at the moment. Fragging people makes me so happy after work, but not as much as MDing. Tennis is my other hobby. I get out and hit with my gf every weekend and have a great time. It's the only sport I enjoy.

Those pens are so awesome.

I don't have any pictures to contribute but I like to game on my PC. I just rebuilt my system last night. Replaced my crappy case with an Antec 300 and it solved my stability issues. I'm playing BFBC 2 at the moment. Fragging people makes me so happy after work, but not as much as MDing. Tennis is my other hobby. I get out and hit with my gf every weekend and have a great time. It's the only sport I enjoy.

You and me both Bonesquat! Check out the beast I built a few months ago

1-1.jpg

untitled.jpg

The pens in the first picture is "Flame Box Elder". The pic doesn't do it justice. The second pic is oak burl,and the last pic is Acrylic(type of plastic).

I collect baseball cards(only Topps,but some really old ones aren't Topps),
go fishing in the summer, and enjoy American military history... No pics
of me shuffling cards, getting a beer, or reading a book...

too many!

Bicycling - Road, commuting, and Mountain. Racing/motorsports - autocrossed in SCCA events since 1984, also worked on a pit crew. Model cars, slot cars, model railroading, model rockets, antique hunting, coin collecting, collecting old handheld electronic games, antique firearms, knives & Japanese swords.......metalworking, wood working, making stained / etched glass, fossil hunting, shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, kayaking, hiking, gardening, amatuer photography, stargazing ............. the list goes on and on. I'm sure I missed a few. I guess being a single parent of an 8 year old daughter doesn't count as a "hobby", but i spend a lot of time at that "hobby" as well..........

In my "spare time" I work a full time job or sleep, LOL!

Attachments

• bikes 006.jpg
    bikes 006.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 188
  • editwaltspics.jpg
    editwaltspics.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 184
  • weldingal.jpg
    weldingal.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 184
  • blueberryhunting 026.jpg
    blueberryhunting 026.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 193
Very nice fish NHKeith, They look awesome!

I collect wood ducks, sports cards, Matchbox cars, Deer antlers, Photo baseballs, coins, and I like to Deep sea fish and fossil hunt.

Other Hobbies

I was doing wood carving for quite some time. But with blood thinners a cut can be hard to stop. And my carving knives are so sharp I have cut myself and didn't even know it until the blood starting getting on the carving. Now I do Pencil drawing. A good hobby for when it is do nasty to be outside. I also do knive throwing. I can pratise almost anywhere with out getting the cops called on me. Also I don't have to worry about crossing states lines and permits. From 0 to about 30 feet out or so it's mine. Anything farther out than that I don't worry to much about.:D

Firearms, mainly pistols (over 30), also rifles and shotguns. Shooting them, of course. Marbles, the older type (guineas, cobras etc). Coins, many types. Poker - mainly Texas Hold 'em. Hunting & fishing.
RickO

Hobbies...

Ice fishing, fishing, fly-tying, coin collecting, going to auctions, storm-chasing, fighting wildfire, kayaking, camping, playing poker, collecting projectile points, working out...thats all I can think of now...

Over the years I've been involved in a ton of different activities. ADHD, I guess.

Stamps and coins, baseball cards and comic books, science fiction and the Hardy Boys, playing baseball/basketball/football as a kid. Pretty normal there I guess.

Music - I was in radio for nearly 40 years, and I'm somewhat of an expert on obscure sixties rock/psychedelic/folkrock. I also like really bad country music.

I used to enjoy radio DXing (listening to AM radio stations from all over the nation), but no more. Stations used to come in pretty good at night, but with all the electrical junk in the air now they are just about impossible to pick up. And when you do get one, all you hear is network stuff, same-old-same-old.

Trivia contests (I wrote all the questions for, and hosted, the high school quiz bowl TV show here for 25 years).

Ham radio (N9XDK is my call), fishing (my favorite: smallmouth on lures in small streams), horseshoes (almost won the Purdue Open).

Adult slowpitch softball (I've written a book on that, and do a podcast on it, just like I do with treasure hunting).

I can generally carry on a quasi-intelligent conversation with other people about their interests, no matter how far out they might be. And that's usually a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom