Anyone near St. Simons Island GA?

Diabolik

Elite Member
We usually take our vacation in September and usually visit Florida. Due to COVID we might have to pick an alternative site. One of the areas we are looking at is St. Simons Island. I was wondering if there is anyone here familiar with the area? It looks like MD'ing is allowed there and I saw some videos on YouTube. Looks like a nice area.

I have made many trips to St Simons Island over the years. It is a beautiful place to visit and has two public beach areas with rest rooms. We haven't been this year but the area named "the village" has nice shops and our favorite seafood restaurant is "Iguanas" It has the best fried shrimp ever and a free ice cream bar with the meal. It has a vat of hot fudge and hot peanut butter sauce and other toppings for the self serve Ice cream. Don't miss it if you go. Good Luck! Jim

I have made many trips to St Simons Island over the years. It is a beautiful place to visit and has two public beach areas with rest rooms. We haven't been this year but the area named "the village" has nice shops and our favorite seafood restaurant is "Iguanas" It has the best fried shrimp ever and a free ice cream bar with the meal. It has a vat of hot fudge and hot peanut butter sauce and other toppings for the self serve Ice cream. Don't miss it if you go. Good Luck! Jim

Thank you Jim, Iguanas, Check!

Have you ever MD'ed there? I've never hunted a beach yet and was hoping to try it out.

St Simons is a nice quiet beach town, haven't detected the beach there but have visited a couple of times. I will give you another restaurant to check out though: Barbara Jeans. She Crab Soup, yum, and lots of home cooking choices.

I grew up in McKeesport and left for the military, all my family is still up there. What part of Pittsburgh are you from?

We were supposed to go to Panama City July 3rd, but didnt work out due to Covid. We have rescheduled for September, Im hoping it will be under control down there by then. Hoping there will be lots of targets left in the water by then. Goos luck wherever you end up!

St Simons is a nice quiet beach town, haven't detected the beach there but have visited a couple of times. I will give you another restaurant to check out though: Barbara Jeans. She Crab Soup, yum, and lots of home cooking choices.

I saw some videos of people detecting there. I’d really like to give it a go. I know the Simplex is not the best beach detector but I’ll certainly give it a try. I just need to pick up a scoop.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will add that to the list if we go.
I grew up in McKeesport and left for the military, all my family is still up there. What part of Pittsburgh are you from?

I am north of Pittsburgh near Cheswick. Pretty much lived around this area my whole life. I’ve got several years yet, but we are hoping to move to FL when we retire if all goes well. :yes:

Yes I have hunted there many times over the years and have had some good finds, both in the water and dry and wet sand. There is a lot of dry sand at the north end of the beach. Good luck, Jim

Back
Top Bottom