pinpointers

bobac

Elite Member
Ok, so I had the opportunity to get in the water for a few hunts a few months ago in Florida. I think I had my Profind with me that day . So I got the CTX coil over a target and tried to go after it with the pinpointer and the pinpointer just started beeping like crazy and wouldn't stop. Needless to say my hunt was shot.
Fast forward a few months and I got the itch to get in the water up here in a river. This time I had the TRX with me. So my first attempt to stick it in the water and it too just started being like crazy and would not shut up. I continued the hunt and it did an occasional chirp but I could not turn it on or off.....You expect that the Fn expensive pieces of equipment will do what they claim and not let you down when you need them. Aren't these things supposed to be waterproof to 10 feet??
What do you guys use to locate targets under water?

ADDING : The reason I feel that I need a pinpointer , and can't use a scoop is that the couple spots I got in the water are super rocky. My scoops didn't stand a chance......They were both rivers where there are 4 inch or bigger rocks at the bottom .

thanks, Bob

Last edited:
bobac .
if there are a lot of shells and pebbles in the sand, large debris that is not sifted by a scoop
and dumped on a floating sieve - it can be search with a pinpoint (waterproof)
pinpointer on the beach and in the surf line - useless! it only loads your knees and lower back, reduces the pace of the search ....

Ruslan.

Plus one on the Scoop. Keep your toes just behind it for position.
Ruslan makes awesome scoops. A Stavr Scoop was my first good scoop.
Good luck!

A few will handle the salt water. The Pulse Dive will but it doesn't like chains. But like others said if you can use a scoop do so.

Like the others said, pinpoint with your detector, mark with foot then scoop! When I scoop into a sifter, I use my Garret Carrot without issues. If you turn it on in the water, it ground balances and for me has worked fine in salt water (near shoreline, in my sifter, etc.).

Good luck!

My pin pointer does not get along with my detector any time they get together they fight. :( so I use a scoop.

Ok, so I had the opportunity to get in the water for a few hunts a few months ago in Florida. I think I had my Profind with me that day . So I got the CTX coil over a target and tried to go after it with the pinpointer and the pinpointer just started beeping like crazy and wouldn't stop. Needless to say my hunt was shot.
Fast forward a few months and I got the itch to get in the water up here in a river. This time I had the TRX with me. So my first attempt to stick it in the water and it too just started being like crazy and would not shut up. I continued the hunt and it did an occasional chirp but I could not turn it on or off.....You expect that the Fn expensive pieces of equipment will do what they claim and not let you down when you need them. Aren't these things supposed to be waterproof to 10 feet??

ADDING : The reason I feel that I need a pinpointer , and can't use a scoop is that the couple spots I got in the water are super rocky. My scoops didn't stand a chance......They were both rivers where there are 4 inch or bigger rocks at the bottom .

thanks, Bob

I think for your use case you should look into the Fisher F-Pulse. It's a PI so you'll get a clearer signal and supposedly it's waterproof to 6 feet. I started with a knockoff carrot from China and it didn't last long near water, but I suspect that the authentic Garrett's wouldn't last much longer either. The beach isn't a good place for a pinpointer, IMO. They're more for dirt hunting.

If you're looking for a pinpointer check out: Land and Sea pinpointer, Nokta Makro PulseDive, Quest Scuba Tector and the Vibra-Probe.

thanks, Bob
Bob, if it is a river with 4-inch stones ... but you know the place where the ring was lost, I would recommend from VIBRA pinpoiters + a small pickaxe ....
Ruslan.

It is extremely rare that i carry my carrot to the beach. I only use it if the teeny little target falls thru the scoop and all i ever find is teeny bits of unknown metal and rivets from beach chairs. Pinpoint with the detector and then scoop the target.

Being somewhat close to Bob, I can relate to the issues he's experiencing. Many rivers in this area are either loaded with large rocks, or loaded with silt and muck. A scoop is almost useless in some of these areas, your scoop would fit 2-3 rocks (if that) in it, that's about it. Some of the silt is pretty deep too, where you could take 3 or 4 scoops and still not hit the bedrock. We are talking knee/waist deep water here, not chest/shoulder deep. I have yet to find a dependable river spot in my area, and I've been looking since 2014 at least. I know there had to be old swimming spots in these rivers, just finding ones that are still accessible and huntable is the hardest part. Luckily I finally found a decent water spot over the winter, but it's a lake not a river. If you do go with a scoop, I would go big or go home. I'm talking stealth or extreme, cheap scoops will not last long in these environments. Keep us posted on your progress man, and good luck out there!

I've had 3 of the Whites Bullseye TRX pinpointers. The first one drowned in only 2 feet of water. The second one drowned in only 6 inches of water. Whites replaced them both free of charge, but my third one they gave me I'm not taking any chances with around water, I keep it on a string so it won't accidentally roll into any liquids! Supposed to be waterproof to 10 feet, but water ALWAYS pours in through the rubber on/off switch and drowns them! Keep em away from water & they're an excellent pin pointer!

Back
Top Bottom