Puzzling results Ace250 on the beach

Spookydad

We just arrived in Port Aransas. It was late and the tide was high so I decided to just take out the ACE250. The sand was packed and somewhat damp. There didn't seem to be much dry sand at all.

I was getting plenty of hits. All of them at 6+ inches. I dug down quite a ways and there was nothing. The ace would sound at the edge of the hole and I would dig the hole deeper. I found nothing.

I gave up and went up by the dunes. It was dry sand and I started getting hits. I did find plenty of trash (pull tabs, can slaw, can ends, and the like) and one dime.

I have never seen such hard packed sand.

Any thoughts on this?

SpookyDad

The Ace doesn't like wet salt sand, it causes a LOT of falsing. The fact that you located lots of targets in dry sand verifies that there isn't anything wrong with the machine.

I get the same results from my XLT. It'll hit an area of high mineralization or whatever it is and is usually about 6-8 inches down. On the XLT it always shows up with a VDI of 91, or a silver dollar. I sure would cringe like no other if it is really reading a silver piece and I've been dismissing it like I have been.

But yeah, it's just falsing.

The circuitry on the 250, or any detector for that matter, can get quirky in given situations. I've had erractic performance [alerting like crazy, nothing there] on regular land, at beaches and at woodchip playgrounds.
I go back, and next time a few days or a week later, its just fine ... So atmospherics, electrical charges and moisture do indeed have an effect here, and no doubt others.
Some spots it is always quirky, and these I just give up on, as there are plenty of hunting areas out there.
I wouldn't just say "its wet sand" because I have detected plenty of wet sand, and 2 ft in the water in fact, with the 250 and it performed flawlessly.
So your case is most likely mineralization - But it wouldn't hurt to try the same place another time, in case something else was causing it.

This is a Texas gulf beach. We have tar and oil close to the surface. So much so, the beach has large black deposits usually no more than 3 or 4 inches down. The condo's here all give out these tar removal wet wipes. It is a major problem.

The girls tried to work the dry sand tonight with the 250. They gave up because it was way too trashy.

SpookyDad

Back
Top Bottom