"Don't Tread On Me" medalion?

luke3026

So I was hunting a small park that was once a farm going back at least 100 years or so. Wasn't finding much and getting frustrated. Dug my last hole, found a shard of something I assumed was trash. Threw it in the bag and moved on to an elementary school where I cleaned up on clad.

Got home and rinsed off this shard, and I see the piece below with "tread" and part of a snake. So I drove the 20 minutes back to the site and rechecked the hole to see if the rest of it was there (lesson learned: double-check your holes!). I found most of the rest.

So any idea what this is or what era it's from? I know the slogan is Rev. War era, but I doubt this is that old.

Edit: I should have put a coin in for scale. It's roughly 2.75" in diameter.

46b12fd3-133a-4f60-8f5a-211d533df2bf_zps6bcc64e0.jpg

Here's the back. There is a slightly raised rectangular area on the right, and a small, circle raised area on top. I was thinking maybe a belt buckle with the pieces on the back broken off? Doesn't really seem like the right material though.

12fe2718-0f3b-4f68-ad7d-e4315c6bff96_zps02cf8f68.jpg

It looks very old to me! I was wondering if it might be a "belt plate" of some sort or a bridle rosette. When all is said and done, I am guessing it will show to be Revolutionary War era. I hope Iron Patch sees this thread. He well might know what it is.

Doug

it doesn't look like pewter which would suggest its older but looks more like another cast or "pot-metal" type material , doubtful its a rosette either as it doesn't look like lead.

I'll get some more detailed pics up today. But it is definitely a way cool piece, whatever it is!

The first recorded use of the rattlesnake (with 13 rattles) and the "Don't tread on me" phrase was in 1775. Many newer depictions neglect to include the 13 rattles (representing the original 13 colonies), but I don't think there is enough detail in your find to be able to count them.

I looked at the rattle with a magnifying glass and could make out at least 9, possibly 10 rattles. But the tip extends into the fractured area so can't really tell for sure.

Nice find! Definitely take that to a museum an ask their opinion. That looks awesome!

Did a density check on it and it comes in just under 11 g/ml. Lead is 11.288 g/ml, so very possible it's lead.

MYSTERY SOLVED

It's just a cheap '70's belt buckle -->

http://www.vintageusa.com/123html/121011102.html

Certainly not "solid brass" as mentioned in the ad, since solid brass doesn't turn into what I have in 40 years or less.

Oh well, not old, but I still like it and had fun researching it.;)

Holy !!!! did I get fooled. I would have bet money you had something very old there .....

Back
Top Bottom