"91" wheat penny? SOLVED- 1914 no mint mark

jason_k

Hey guys, not sure what I have here. It is clearly a 1910 to 1919 penny. I can't see any marks to indicate that the two missing numbers were removed after minting. I soaked it in olive oil and went over it with a toothpick to try to expose some detail, but it 9 and 1 are the only two digits I can see. Thanks! GL&HH!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,133
Have you tried the highest res on a scanner? If you want to gamble on it not being a key date there is always the old heated hydrogen peroxide trick. It has brought back dated I thought couldn't be seen.

Can you take a higher-resolution photo using a loupe? This photo is much too grainy for us to be of any help.

Jason do you have a flat bed scanner? If so put the coin on there and scan it at the highest resolution. At about 1200 DPI you can see micro scratches that you cant see with the naked eye so it is possible you may see detail you otherwise would not be able to see.

Thanks for the help guys, this forum is really great. I just scanned it, but my scanner only goes to 600 dpi. Here is the picture. I think my iphone did better than my scanner... :lol: I'm going to probably take it in to my jeweler so he can use his magnifier and will let you know what I find out. Sorry about the delayed replies, the "91 penny mystery" ranks low compared to my wife and kids...;)

Attachments

• scan3.jpg
    scan3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 605
I will bet one Silver Dime it is a 1919 Wheat ! Of course Proof will be needed from an Expert! :laughing: But the offer is for real

TX, That is really nice. For the fun of it, I'll match your dime offer, and if you are right, the coin is yours brotha! :lol: I will get back with you guys about it's true identity as soon as I have time to run it in to the jewler.

1914 w/o mint mark

Okay guys, finally made it into the local coin shop and was told that the coin was a 1914 w/ no mint mark. I believe him, because there seemed to be a faint 4, but I could not tell for sure. I was offered 1.5 cents for it... Thanks for all the great input and advice! :yes:

Okay guys, finally made it into the local coin shop and was told that the coin was a 1914 w/ no mint mark. I believe him, because there seemed to be a faint 4, but I could not tell for sure. I was offered 1.5 cents for it... Thanks for all the great input and advice! :yes:

Congrats on finding out what it was. That one would have been a real stumpper for me. Now you better go collect on that silver dime from a few posts up. :D

Back
Top Bottom