"Big 4" but for what?... Update... Solved, Overall Button c. 1910 or earlier

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
This one has me stumped... any ideas? It's just about the size of a dime and has a lip and concave back, kind of like a cap for something but no threads.

picture.php

picture.php

Hi BBsGal, question : is it made out of tin or copper , soft or hard ! ......I owned an antique store a while ago and I'm an appraiser . Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi BBsGal, question : is it made out of tin or copper , soft or hard ! ......I owned an antique store a while ago and I'm an appraiser . Jim

My best guess is either copper or brass, and I'm leaning toward the brass side, it's hard, no give to it. It's about 1/64" thick.

If it was a pin of some sort it would not be Brass , brass would have only been used on a belt buckle or such not for pins or jewelry as such, it would sound to me like it was part of some kind of advertisement which would have been made of such material as you have stated copper in its not fully refined state would give the effect of brass , and was widely used in the turn of the century . Putting it in the late 1800s . I recently found similar in the same material ....in town here Saint Joseph , Michigan in an area with similar dated materials from 1856- 1898 .....I owned an antique shop in Boston , and I'm an appraiser .
What area are you digging , if you don't mind me asking ....I'm looking for a good partner in Michigan to run with . Jim

Back
Top Bottom