• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Big suprise! Nox, F75 SE, MXT & Explorer XS

BLOODHOUND1970

Just for the heck of it this evening I buried a dime at 9 measured inches in my front yard to test my machines(Equinox 600, F75 SE, MXT & Explorer XS) and test some settings. I checked and made sure that I was in a clean spot and it ground balanced between 58-62. I pretty well knew the outcome, or so I thought. I fired up the F75 with the NEL hunter coil first knowing that it would hit it with no problem, nope wouldn't touch it. Disc at 5, 95 sensitivity and boost process, only an occasional blip. I also tried jewelry mode, same results. I was shocked, so I put on the stock coil, even worse. It was time to bring out the Nox and prove that my new investment was gonna be the machine to knock the F75 off of the depth champion pedestal, park 2, recovery 1, 0 iron bias and 50 tones, the Nox never hit a high tone or id, tried all modes and never got a signal that would indicate a dime was under the coil. Next I grabbed the MXT, dang sure that it wouldn't have a clue that there was anything there I cranked it up wide open, disc just below nickel and in relic mode. I was floored when the lowly MXT that I hardly ever pick up anymore gave a good tone in most every direction even though it could not give a solid id. At this point I didn't even have the Explorer out of the garage because I was pretty sure there was no need, but after the MXT surprise I figured that I may as well be fair and give it a shot. I went and grabbed the old Explorer and set it up, 20% iron mask, 30 sens, and gain amost maxed out it hit the dime most consistent AND with a high tone and id'ed correctly about 50% of the time. These results shocked me and made me rethink my machines. I love all four of these detectors but I think sometimes the new dog gets all the glory when in fact, the old dogs still hunt just fine. I know speed and unmasking is where it's at right now and this was nothing but a pure depth test but if you cant hear the target, there is no separation or unmasking needed.

Interesting results. I assume you slowed down recovery on the nox? That is a quick way to gain depth. I buried a dime at 8" in my red clay and hit it solid with recovery at 2. It struggled at 3.

BCD

Got me interested now. I need to see how deep I can get with mine. Honestly I am not digging far past 8" in Georgia clay unless it is a great area and target.

BCD

Got me interested now. I need to see how deep I can get with mine. Honestly I am not digging far past 8" in Georgia clay unless it is a great area and target.

BCD

Be sure to post your results, I have a 8 inch quarter buried about four feet from the dime and all four machines smack it with no problem, I was very surprised by the dime. I dug two wheat pennies last weekend over eight inches with the Nox so I really didn't think that the dime was going to be that tough to get in my soil.

recovery was set @ 1, I tried 1,2 and 3

How many bars are reflected on F75 mineralization strength meter?

My 800 model hits a 9" deep dime in my area. My area not mild either. Fours bars on F75'smeter. I can't hit using 800 model using speeds 1-4. 5 and 6 give best signal. Nox actual tells me higher conductors coin down there too.
Deus with 11" LF coil deep mode must be used to hit a dime that deep.
Etrac hits slightly better than Nox. Etrac has to be swung flush too to hit. Park 2 and prospecting 1 and 2 are the only programs on my 800 to hit a dime that deep here in my soil.

Btw F75 non DST and DST with stock coil calls this dime a nail.
Nokta Impact does too.
Deus with 9" LF and 9" HF coil, no cigars giving a signal either.

How many bars are reflected on F75 mineralization strength meter?

My 800 model hits a 9" deep dime in my area. My area not mild either. Fours bars on F75'smeter. I can't hit using 800 model using speeds 1-4. 5 and 6 give best signal. Nox actual tells me higher conductors coin down there too.
Deus with 11" LF coil deep mode must be used to hit a dime that deep.
Etrac hits slightly better than Nox. Etrac has to be swung flush too to hit. Park 2 and prospecting 1 and 2 are the only programs on my 800 to hit a dime that deep here in my soil.

tn, honestly I didn't check to see how many bars, I will check that tomorrow. I should have noticed, but I didn't. I think that I am going to dig that dime back up and make sure that it didn't get turned on it's side and rebury.

tn, honestly I didn't check to see how many bars, I will check that tomorrow. I should have noticed, but I didn't. I think that I am going to dig that dime back up and make sure that it didn't get turned on it's side and rebury.

Alright.
Just remember speed 1 you will not use very much. May work ok on larger coins like a quarter in dirt like Calabash has.
Speed 2 for medium mineralized. Speed 3 for medium high mineralized. In the highest mineralized soils like at cullpepper the 600 using is at a disadvantage to model 800. In soil like this speed 7 and 8 are required for depth using 800 unit. And you can't get there with the 600 unit. The 600 unit liable to give no signal at all or call what a 800 sees as nonferous a ferrous target. Speed settings are actually filters. Or at least they act like filters.

See this link page 51 to see how speed settings correspond between 600 and 800 units. It may help you and others when folks are indeed talking about the 800 speed settings they are using when talking about their units as far as depth, soil mineral levels, etc.

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/326548/EQUINOX 600 800 Instruction Manual EN

Btw you need to do an auto GB when testing Nox for depth. It can make a difference. And the difference made is based on soil mineral levels. Real mild soil like calabash not much difference. In my area it makes a whole lot of difference.

The MXT results do not surprise me at all. It has always been able to stay with the big boys in most situations.

these results are similar to mine. key here was an actually measured real 9". Some people dont realize how deep that actually is. I get criticism every day on my youtube depth test videos how horrible the detector or I am.

If it was a nickel nox probably jumps up there with mxt. mxt's are super deep IMO

I'm sure the ID on the MXT was driven way down, but that's why we dig those solid repeatables, regardless of VDI, right guys?:D

Interesting straight up test without all the BS setting everything up to show what you want it to show! GL&HH!

I'm sure the ID on the MXT was driven way down, but that's why we dig those solid repeatables, regardless of VDI, right guys?:D

Interesting straight up test without all the BS setting everything up to show what you want it to show! GL&HH!

That’s right Chris...in areas where I KNOW old coins MUST BE,I’ve been digging “regardless of VDI”. It’s one of the lessons people learn after doing this a long time,and exhausting their areas of the 0-8” targets. 8-9”+ targets do not necessarily,unless under perfect conditions,produce VDIs close to what you’re expecting. The repeatability of the signal,duration of the signal and suspected extreme depth are signs to DIG!
Ask Dewsweeper how deep the last Merc I dug in Milwaukee was the other weekend. Even using the CTX,the VDI was NOT correct for a Merc in the condition it was in. This is the stuff we’re after these days,in many places....
I do also know that when I used my modified IDXPro more,the VDI was ALOT more susceptible to downscaling as depth increased,especially when the dirt was mineralized.
Paying attention to all of the other aspects of the signal EXCEPT the visual VDI will net us more coins when hunting at depth, no matter the machine.

I've got different results where I live
My mxt gave a pull tab signal on a 10 inch wheat using ultimate 13 coil in my test garden. Equinox calls same 10 inch wheat coin.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

I would love to see how my mxsport stands up against the nox. I'm pretty sure it would hit that dime. Guess i have to buy one and see

Alright.
Just remember speed 1 you will not use very much. May work ok on larger coins like a quarter in dirt like Calabash has.
Speed 2 for medium mineralized. Speed 3 for medium high mineralized. In the highest mineralized soils like at cullpepper the 600 using is at a disadvantage to model 800. In soil like this speed 7 and 8 are required for depth using 800 unit. And you can't get there with the 600 unit. The 600 unit liable to give no signal at all or call what a 800 sees as nonferous a ferrous target. Speed settings are actually filters. Or at least they act like filters.

See this link page 51 to see how speed settings correspond between 600 and 800 units. It may help you and others when folks are indeed talking about the 800 speed settings they are using when talking about their units as far as depth, soil mineral levels, etc.

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/326548/EQUINOX 600 800 Instruction Manual EN

Btw you need to do an auto GB when testing Nox for depth. It can make a difference. And the difference made is based on soil mineral levels. Real mild soil like calabash not much difference. In my area it makes a whole lot of difference.

Each number 1-2-3 corresponds as 2-4-6 between the 600 and 800, six being the max for the 600. I did a ground balance with the Nox as well as run it at 0, the results did not change at all. Another twist on the testing happened this morning before my hunting partner and I headed out, I was telling him about it and showing him when he got his AT Gold out of the truck to try the dime. The AT Gold was equipped with a NEL Tornado and nailed it and with correct id, AGAIN I was shocked!

Each number 1-2-3 corresponds as 2-4-6 between the 600 and 800, six being the max for the 600. I did a ground balance with the Nox as well as run it at 0, the results did not change at all. Another twist on the testing happened this morning before my hunting partner and I headed out, I was telling him about it and showing him when he got his AT Gold out of the truck to try the dime. The AT Gold was equipped with a NEL Tornado and nailed it and with correct id, AGAIN I was shocked!

I’m not surprised a Garrett nailed it,just a quality machine.

ATP & ATG with Nel coils are deep machines..

I find a lot at 9-10" running a Storm..

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom