• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Silver dime under iron: Is this how multi frequency works?

Actually if truth be told, Nox is ideally more of a multi freq detector than any fbs or bbs detector. Just my opinion.

They're all multi-frequency detectors, whatever Minelab calls the technology--VBS, FBS or Multi-IQ. The Nox may be the first "honest" one in the ML line in that it uses 5 defined frequencies, while we're told its predecessors use 28, etc., which has apparently never been true unless you count the harmonics (and why stop at 28?).

I'm not putting down the EX/ET/CTX machines, which are high-end detectors and in significant ways superior to the Nox--more accurate ID and depth info, in particular. But the Nox brings the latest wrinkle on ML's multi-frequency technology in a light, fast, waterproof, wireless package, and offers its own advantages.

They're all multi-frequency detectors, whatever Minelab calls the technology--VBS, FBS or Multi-IQ. The Nox may be the first "honest" one in the ML line in that it uses 5 defined frequencies, while we're told its predecessors use 28, etc., which has apparently never been true unless you count the harmonics (and why stop at 28?).

I'm not putting down the EX/ET/CTX machines, which are high-end detectors and in significant ways superior to the Nox--more accurate ID and depth info, in particular. But the Nox brings the latest wrinkle on ML's multi-frequency technology in a light, fast, waterproof, wireless package, and offers its own advantages.

Glad someone agrees with me.

The high CO was likely a combination of the washer and the dime, with the nail dragging them both down.

Woodbutcher,
I have an 11" deep nickel in the ground.
CTX or Etrac both with stock coils won't touch. Only breaks threshold if yo listen.
Nox hits the nickel.

What is the volume gain set to on the Etrac?

5 frequency running on the nox vs 28 frequencies running on fbs? Are you saying minelab are wrong?

The way the multi-frequency is accomplished on the 2 machines is entirely different. BBS/FBS uses a transmitted squarewave at the lowest frequency and uses the harmonics - which diminish quickly at the higher frequencies. This is one reason those machines are not known for their small gold ability.

Multi IQ essentially transmits 5 separate frequencies, at the same amplitude, and analyzes this signal. It is more specific and results in a better way to extract ID data.

I believe he dug simply from the roundness of that huge washer. The dime just being in the area. Every Minelab I have ever used just LOVES roundness.....
IDK just my OP! Great save though! HH DD

Kurt, just saw this thread of yours. Nice job pulling that dime from that hole with the bolt and washer, congrats. I know it's your skill that pulled that dime. Don't listen to all these people who said you only found it because of luck. Hope to see you post some more of your finds and don't let this post discourage you from posting. I think this is the thread you mentioned got you frustrated and not wanting to post anymore.

Hey Everyone;

Went out for a short hunt today.

Had a 28 signal (high co) coming in & out due to something in the way.

Threw it in AM and had an iron number of -4 & -5. But the 28 number keeps coming in & out.

Dug it and saw the huge nail with a washer around it. Stuck my probe in the ground and about 2" below the large iron nail, was the '64 Rosie.

As far as I can remember, I never experienced this with my ML Safari.

Is this what they mean by "multi-frequency?"

The iron signal was dominant only in AM but the dime couldn't hide nonetheless.

I thought I'd share this because it is part of my learning curve with this machine. I hope this helps other nox users as well.

Until you dig an unbelievable target like that yourself it is hard to wrap your mind around it. Welcome to the club! I quit praising the NOX i figured most would eventually figure it out for themselves with enough time in the field with the unit. Congrats!

I know what you mean about the washer as many of them read high co but not this one.... it is iron. I ran the coil over the nail and washer separately and together and they both read -4 & -5, low grunts.

But my curiosity is what may or may not be the effectiveness of "multi-frequency".

Thanks for your response.

I would say the washer in the ground is what give the high number, that is common for the washer to read high.

With the nail and washer close to the dime it will bring the number down.

I have seen it, I have dug it, NEVER dug coins like I am now with iron in the same hole. There is something going on inside of this machine that only the Nox has, I sure don't understand it but I know its there! I drank the Kool-ade and I am addicted! :D

Back
Top Bottom