Should it be this hard?

Spookydad

I took my Surf PI out for the first time today. (See my post on the finds forum) I started to work out in a couple of feet of water. I am guessing I don't have a neutral buoyancy coil. It was very hard to keep the coil on the bottom. It was also extremely difficult to keep the coil flat. I had heard about an attachment to keep it from flipping up but I didn't realize how important that would be. I guess I am stuck for that one for this trip.

Should the coil be forcing it's way up so much?
Is there a way to use the wave action to my advantage?
Should I move the control box back to the shaft from the belt?
Am I just whining too much? :lol:

SpookyDad

What some have done as an emergency measure is to take a sock, fill it
full of sand and tie it to the top of the coil with a shoe lace or equivalent.

Excellent Idea

That is an ellegant answer. I was thinking about a rock but couldn't figure out how I would attach it. There is no shortage of sand around here. :spin:

I have the Surf PI Pro with the non-buoyancy coil, and I haven't found it a problem to keep the coil on the bottom. It does tend to float up when I dig, which can be annoying, but it hasn't really been an issue, otherwise.

I use the same loop support that Craig recommended, but I modified mine a tad. The thing has allot of surface area, so it kind of acts like an oar when you are sweeping the coil through the water. So, what I did was I mounted the coil and loop support in the proper position for my comfort, and then used a marker to trace around the front of the shaft and the hole where the small screw goes through. I then took a Dremel tool and removed most of the unnecessary plastic, leaving only the important sections, such as the flat area that actually contacts the coil and the hole where the small screw goes through. I left enough of the plastic, as outlined by the shaft, to make sure it is still strong enough to hold the coil in place without breaking. I made all of the cuts as sweeping arcs so there are no pressure points where a crack can start. Cutting away the extra plastic helped allot with drag on the coil.

I've attached a picture to better explain what I'm talking about. My shaft leans back further, so the cut in along the back is not as predominant as shown in the picture, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• ModifiedBracket.gif
    ModifiedBracket.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 299
To help keep the coil in the water I have heard you can use one of those wrist weights (for exercising) that are filled with sand. The kind I have seen just slip over the wrist with no metal parts. Just a thought.

I went to the Whites Dealer in Corpus Christi and he had one.
I will look into a wrist weight.

Thanks for the help

SpookyDad

Coil loop fixed.

I got the coil loop support at Trader Ricks today in Corpus Christi. It woks great.

Thanks for the advice!

SpookyDad

Back
Top Bottom