• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Down to three

Missouri Mule

Now that Spring is arriving, though rather slowly, it is time for me to purchase a detector and sundry accessories. I have come down to three, based on research and replies to threads. 1. either a Garrett AT Max or AT Pro 2. X-Terra 705 3. Equinox 800 What are the differences between an AT Max and AT Pro? After reviewing all these detectors until I am blue in the face, I am not convinced that anyone of them stands out above the others, except in price. So please comment with any observations or any ignorance on my part. Thank You

So, with your name, I assume you will be hunting Missouri, which should be mostly mild soil, an I guessing salt won't be an issue.

Next what type of sites do you think you will be hunting and do you think you will be more of a relic hunter or coin hunter? Clad or silver?

Thank you for sending the comparisons. Not knowing much of what is meant by many of the technical differences listed in the comparison, is there any big differences between the AT Max and AT Pro to make the Max a better buy? Are there any out there with hands on experience between the two?

Big Treble, thanks for the reply. Yes, nearly all my detecting will be in Missouri, at least for now. I am interested in both coins and relics. My area goes back to the 1820's, as well as being in the middle of the War Between the States, so there are many places to detect. I will steer clear of parks, as they are likely well hunted already. So I will be looking for coins in abandoned towns and around homesteads. There are 7 cities/villages in my area that disappeared years ago, but the locations can be found. As there are a few major battles that took place in my area that have not been pinpointed as of yet, I will be looking for these battle sites. So I suppose I will need different sized coils depending on what I am searching for. I am thinking of an AT Pro with different size coils, unless there is a decidedly better machine. Money is not really an issue. Your thoughts?

Equinox 800 I recommend. Its made for every kind of hunting. My At pro isn't as deep or fast in recovery speed. 800 is very adjustable too. Happy hunting!

Some things to think about..Equinox needs to be charged,no swapping out batteries if you forgetto charge it and want to hunt..I see the upside of having a rechargeable machine and not spending money on batteries,but I hate charging because I always forget and grab a dead machine when I’m ready to hunt.
At pro has no Backlight if that’s important,some like to night hunt.I usually hit the curbstrips at night when I have no one around to question what I’m doing.
Waterproof is a good feature if your actually gonna really go in the water.Then it’s a factor in a purchase.Deus and Xterra are not waterproof,equinox and at pro are.
Honestly I’m a Garrett guy but I gotta admit having run all those machines you asked about I’d give the xterra 705 the lead..It’s not the newest technology but everything else it brings trumps the rest.

Some things to think about..Equinox needs to be charged,no swapping out batteries if you forgetto charge it and want to hunt..I see the upside of having a rechargeable machine and not spending money on batteries,but I hate charging because I always forget and grab a dead machine when I’m ready to hunt.
At pro has no Backlight if that’s important,some like to night hunt.I usually hit the curbstrips at night when I have no one around to question what I’m doing.
Waterproof is a good feature if your actually gonna really go in the water.Then it’s a factor in a purchase.Deus and Xterra are not waterproof,equinox and at pro are.
Honestly I’m a Garrett guy but I gotta admit having run all those machines you asked about I’d give the xterra 705 the lead..It’s not the newest technology but everything else it brings trumps the rest.

Eqx doesn’t require charging for actual use.
A portable external pack can be used.
And some folks take them along for backup or to charge. The packs cost around 20 bucks.

Eqx doesn’t require charging for actual use.
A portable external pack can be used.
And some folks take them along for backup or to charge. The packs cost around 20 bucks.

I just don’t like charging and the better alternative for me is to have a machine that don’t require it..i have went out and forgot to charge afterwards,and a week later the machine cut out within 45 minutes of field use.Dead in the water..So although I know there is aftermarket battery packs for the deus,equinox and kruzer I still prefer the option of swapping out batteries in the field without having to buy a extra accessory.
Another thing to consider,you hafto like the ride as much as getting there...All machines out there will do the job,some better than others in certain areas..Pick your area you feel you need and hunt that machine down..Not all machines excell in every category

I must say that the price tag of the equinox 800 is up there. I do want back-lighting and waterproofing, however, though if I have to go without back-lighting I can do it. Does the AT Max have back lighting?

I must say that the price tag of the equinox 800 is up there. I do want back-lighting and waterproofing, however, though if I have to go without back-lighting I can do it. Does the AT Max have back lighting?

Tnsharpshooter just posted a link of a Makro machine coming out,supposedly waterproof and backlit,honestly looks like a hell of a deal..Not sure of release date but it looks good

What is your budget? You'll want to get a pinpointer, and I'd highly recommend a Garrett Pro-Pointer AT. It's 127 retail, but the sponsors here will cut you a deal on that, as well as on the detector itself.

I appreciate all your replies, as they are helping me to move unto a decision. I am interested in the Makro machine, but am not sure which model. Is there much of a difference between the Equinox 600 and 800? Like I said, I will likely use different sizes of coils to go after specific targets, so a decent machine will be sufficient, though I have heard nothing but excellent reviews on the Equinox 800. More so, I have been asked to help search for critical battle sites in my area (that have not been located) and will need all the help I can get once I am in the field. Thank you.

My vote if your buying a new machine is to get the Equinox 800. If you look around you can find a good used Etrac for between $600.00-$800.00 which is another option although the Etrac is not waterproof.

What is your budget? You'll want to get a pinpointer, and I'd highly recommend a Garrett Pro-Pointer AT. It's 127 retail, but the sponsors here will cut you a deal on that, as well as on the detector itself.

I have budgeted the money for the Pro Pointer, a shovel my size (being 6'6"), wireless headphones, a small hand shovel, as well as whatever coils I need to help my specific searches go better.

Now, If I could find a good deal on a used Equinox 800. I realize it is a lot of money, but with what I have in mind, it will likely be the right one . . . in the long run, which includes a lengthy learning curve I reckon. One of the sites I will looking to find is where the last official battle took place during the Civil War. Ample documentation shows it to being located my neck of the woods, and not Texas, where a Union soldier was killed by members of Little Archie Clements band of irregulars in late May of 1865.

I have budgeted the money for the Pro Pointer, a shovel my size (being 6'6"), wireless headphones, a small hand shovel, as well as whatever coils I need to help my specific searches go better.

Since you are so tall.
If you go Nokta Anfibio route you will need tall person’s rod. They are available.

For Anfibio
https://www.noktadetectors.com/accessoire/anfibio-longer-middle-shaft-aluminum/

For Kruzer /Racer 2
https://www.noktadetectors.com/accessoire/kruzer-racer-2-longer-middle-shaft-aluminum/

Like all rookies I suppose, I want my detector to do everything but for a modest price. Wishful thinking. I will have to weigh everything in the balance and get on with the purchase. Thank you all for your generous replies.

If buying new CALL a sponsor of this forum. They are listed "lost all sponsors" in the upper right hand of the page. Much better deals than buying off amazon, online, ebay.

Back
Top Bottom