make your own metal detector

Bounder

By now some of you have probably noticed that I read a lot of old popular mechanics type magazines, the older the better. I saw an article in the September, 1935 edition that shows how to make your own metal detector. The article starts on page 422. It's called "how to build an inexpensive metal locator. You would have to be tetched in the head to attempt making one nowadays but it is still interesting reading.

Me too. I bet mine was sadder. :laughing:
I did find one dime with it before it fell apart and I gave up on it. :(

Mine may have been the saddest, I made one years ago as a kid from scratch, spent alot of time and when finished and I turned it on, it picked up CKLW AM 800 out of Detroit. :lol:

Last edited:
Pretty much anyone with basic electronics skills could make a very good metal detector... maybe as good or better than any on the market... using only commonly available parts. The problem comes with the discrimination of conductivity and shape. It would take a LOT of testing to come up with anything reliable at identifying trash from treasure (maybe years of testing). The software is the key.

-Joe

I use a DIY detector based on the GeoTech's Hammer Head PI.
Geotech has lots of info and projects that do work. PI detector do not discriminate typically but can determine high verse low conductors.
There is some VLF detector projects there that do full discrimination.

Anyone wishing to build a detector or just what to learn more about how they work should go and read the Geotech forum and project articles.

Back
Top Bottom