Non metallic finds

ACANTHUS

I was wondering whether you people would feel that it would be a nice idea maybe to have a non metal finds section

I would be really interested in the indian arrow heads ect... also what stones/rocks are out there to find and are they worth something??

Old pottery ect.. too would be nice and you know old bottles maybe as well

what do ya think??

Its nice to find out about other hobbies out there!!

We can speak with Carol and Vlad when they return from their vacation ok?

I think it would really clutter it up. It takes enough time to wade through all the post now. All of us have other interest, but they don't need to be mixed in with MDing. Just my two wheaties.

Sounds fine to me. I believe I've noticed a fair amount of detectorists who are also into stone artifacts, fossils, gemstones, etc. The "hunter instinct" takes on many forms. Those who are too busy, or disinterested can refrain from clicking their mouse. HH

mxtswinger said:
Sounds fine to me. I believe I've noticed a fair amount of detectorists who are also into stone artifacts, fossils, gemstones, etc. The "hunter instinct" takes on many forms. Those who are too busy, or disinterested can refrain from clicking their mouse. HH

Yep!! the hunter instinct!! Thats it!!

Thanks for being positive

i think its a great idea tooooo :yes: i spoted the edge of something round poking out of a hardlump last spring so when i got it home a tapped it with a hammer and it split leaving a lovely fossilized sea urchin seeing its first light since god nows how many millions of years lol,read a cool story today of an eyes find a little bust and face from 1st 2nd or third century just peering up out of the soil at the guy spooky face though lol.
laters

I know that this forum is "metal detector" oriented, but I wouldn't mind a part of the board going for other types of finds. I'm not much into fossils and such, but I do love to dig old bottles, and have recently started coin roll hunting (I can hear Craig groan at the metion of this, lol). I always post bottles here when I find them, but after the first two coin roll hunting posts, have refrained from posting more roll finds, because they're not detector related finds. maybe just modify the "Everything Else" area to include non-detector finds? Just my 2 cents!

surely eyes only finds made when detecting merite a look in as if one was not out detecting one would not spot these non metalic finds :yes:

Cfmct-PI said:
TK

Post what you want  :yes:  If it doesn't interest me, I won't click on it  ;)

Thats all well and good, but I just clicked on My Favorite Penny, and the newest post is a drink bottle.

Scavenger, I believe that Jeff posted that penny as his favorite find, and that he ended his post by asking, What is your favorite find? Not "What is your favorite coin"?

Right!!

If you are out field walking surveying your next field to detect on you will see the obvious pieces of pottery whther its from 2000 years ago or 200 years ago and from that pottery you can date other finds

I am sure as was previously said that metal detecting and basically retreiving things from the soil will be interlinked somehow along the way

I find all aspects of history geology etc... very interesting and I am not just out for treasure for %^$ sake
:mad:

For me history, whether natraul or man made is what it is all about for me

I would obviously sell that $100,000 coin no second thoughts

I couldn't justofy keeping it because thats more than my house is worth!!

But I would not go and sell a $50 coin if it took me 8 hours to find it

I could go and work in a fast food restraunt for more money an hour

WOAH!!

Just realised I have been ranting/babbling on oops sorry people
Just feel that a non-mettalic finds spot would help us all to learn a bit more about this great hobby :lol: :grin: :!: :?:

I've got no problem with the idea noboby makes me read. The thing I see is that some of the detecting areas we have don't see posts for a week as it is. I've seen were some of you guys post on the coin rolling, and bottle forums on another site. What would you gain by posting on two sites. If it's not a problem with more server load go for it. Rob

I would like it, I find a lot more than metal in the ground, but really have noplace to put it on here..... On the other hand, those who have made the point of this being a metal detecting forum, do have a very valid point. I would click on it if it were there.... Just my .02 worth.

Bri-

Not that I make too many non-metal finds but I think the relic forum could include items that are not just metal. There seems to be a lot of incidental finds when people are out metal detecting. To me a relic is a relic whether it is made of metal or not. This is just my opinion.

I don't mind seeing posts of incidental finds that are interesting along with the other finds. I just feel that it may get out of hand and could become clutter.

Back
Top Bottom