EMI almost made me miss a great token

StevenB

Went out to hunt a wide (10 foot) curb strip in my old neighborhood yesterday and the electric interference was making the AT Pro go crazy, with random signals all over the place. NOT FUN! Whether it was due to the power/telephone line overhead or some other EMI I don't know. Tried all four frequency settings and ground balance, but the only thing that helped was turning the sensitivity way down, which kinda defeats the purpose of looking for older deep targets. Anyway, I did my best and was delighted to dig up an outstanding, uncatalogued local bar token which dates prior to 1916. It's an interesting token in that a round die was used on a barrel-shaped planchet, and it appears to be hand struck (somewhat unevenly). Also found the rusty remains of a Zippo-style lighter, two old sets of keys and some small change including a 1952 wheat. I may try the same area again later in case the electrical interference changes.

Attachments

• IMG_20171016_092939213.jpg
    IMG_20171016_092939213.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20171016_180540659.jpg
    IMG_20171016_180540659.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 234
Really cool token, if you can still verify the lighter is a Zippo you could send that in and they will send you a new one.

Really cool token, if you can still verify the lighter is a Zippo you could send that in and they will send you a new one.

LOL, I would have to make up quite a story. Maybe that would be taking a LITTLE too much advantage of their replacement policy!

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Nice token! I hate EMI! It makes detecting not fun at all at some sites that I detect.

beephead

For me, EMI usually means that other detectorists have skipped stuff. I've found some of my BEST gold and diamond rings in EMI infested environments. I've found that just because there's a ton of chatter, it doesn't mean I can't detect. Just have to listen harder for the repeatable signal. Drop a coin down in an EMI field sometime, and you'll find that with a variable tone system (such as the AT Pro), you can still detect pretty decently.

Lots of detectorists skip those areas...and if they happen to be on a field sideline, or near volleyball courts, it's MAGICAL. :)

Skippy

For me, EMI usually means that other detectorists have skipped stuff. I've found some of my BEST gold and diamond rings in EMI infested environments. I've found that just because there's a ton of chatter, it doesn't mean I can't detect. Just have to listen harder for the repeatable signal. Drop a coin down in an EMI field sometime, and you'll find that with a variable tone system (such as the AT Pro), you can still detect pretty decently.

Lots of detectorists skip those areas...and if they happen to be on a field sideline, or near volleyball courts, it's MAGICAL. :)

Skippy

very interesting, great way to look at EMI in a positive way!

Great assortment of finds. I get excited any time I can find something besides coins. I could dig keys all day long, and would be happy. Just think of the struggle that that person or family had when they could not find there keys.

Back
Top Bottom