Newbie Beach Hunting Question

tarawa

Forum Supporter
What time of day do you guys hit the beach? Early morning or early evening?
Soon to be Florida beach hunter here.

To hunt dry sand I go early so as to hit areas before the hotels put out lounge chairs and umbrellas. And its also cooler early. To hunt wet sand and water that's all dictated to me by the tide schedule. I like to be out 2-3 hours before low tide. I normally will not hunt if the low tide is anywhere near the midday sun as its just brutal.

To hunt dry sand I go early so as to hit areas before the hotels put out lounge chairs and umbrellas. And its also cooler early. To hunt wet sand and water that's all dictated to me by the tide schedule. I like to be out 2-3 hours before low tide. I normally will not hunt if the low tide is anywhere near the midday sun as its just brutal.

^^ x2

Also, when you are in a popular area, you need to get out even sooner to beat the competition. Best bet is to camp on the beach and detect around the clock! LOL, wait, no, I'm serious! :lol: :yes: :D

^^ x2

Also, when you are in a popular area, you need to get out even sooner to beat the competition. Best bet is to camp on the beach and detect around the clock! LOL, wait, no, I'm serious! :lol: :yes: :D

Perfect !!!! One could make a house from all the broken umbrellas !!! And save a ton on entrance fees........ might want to rig a solar charging system so you won't need to leave for batteries.....

For wet sand/surf hunting I like to go at high tide sometimes to see what's going on. If it doesn't look promising I still have time to drive to to one or two more beaches in time for low tide. I try to go when a high surf and high tide combination is moving some sand around. That could be 2 pm one day or 2 am another day. :yes:

Some good advice in the above posts that I can only second their advice. Go early (I hit the beach before sun up), watch the tides and surf conditions (big waves make for a lousy day water detecting), stay out of the noon day sun and have some fun! Oh yea! never turn your back on the ocean, at least here in Hawaii that's a good rule. Rogue waves are sneaky and hurt.

I agree with Felix except if the low tide is in the hottest part of the day I go for it. But you eventually pay a price for being foolish. Three skin cancers cut out and 8 chemical peels later I still haven't learned.

My assigment in Homestead is about over and I will be heading back to Palm Beach probably Monday. I will be hitting the beaches around Juno Pier and north. Maybe up to Ft. Pierce. Being semi-retired has its perks.

I like to go early when the waves are glassy and there's not a lot of people on the beach. In the afternoon, if the wind is blowing onshore, it gets a little brutal out there.
I will go late if I sleep in (retired) and the tide is low or anytime there is a minus tide.
Surf cams are your friends.

I mostly hunt mornings....... getting there at 5 or before. BUT..... i see hunters coming off the beach at that time. I watch how deep the tides are and where the people are..... that may dictate if i go back the next day when its low tide. Sometimes i see hunters out deep at low tide..... but the people havent really been out there...... so they are hoping something was missed or moved and nearer in may have been a better choice. The tides change....... so where people were changes too. Some people have predictable patterns always down and back following a trench.... and thats not always where the gold is. Find the targets..... and NEVER not hunt waist deep no matter the tide. I find if i hunt when a lot of people are there..... if something does get lot who do you think they come find? Gold is where you find it...... or where others missed it. If you are dry sand hunting...... well i just hate to work around people.... most of the time they are right where you want to be.... same in the water.

Back
Top Bottom