Further adventures from across the pond.

Doug

Elite Member
This stubble field should be available until next April/May when it will be seeded with maize.

Although it is one field now 1899 maps show at least it may have been several fields.

Thanks for looking...........Doug.

The field.
fBkFIy6.jpg

Middle right Circa 17th century.

"A mount in the form of an acorn, with two integral lugs on the back. Probably for use on harness.

The stalk, has the appearance of a bird's head."

QtsnfGO.jpg

Kof3ml0.jpg

oIDG69E.jpg

0IvVuu5.jpg

N2dZGDN.jpg

NMTULeZ.jpg

t4SH0m7.jpg

Last edited:
Great digs! I bet those cart Wheel Pennies real have a screaming signal. Nice.

Nice finds! you guys have all the old stuff on that side of the pond. I feel like a west coaster jealous of us eastern USA guys and what we find. :lol: Congrats!!

Great digs! I bet those cart Wheel Pennies real have a screaming signal. Nice.

Thank you, the twopence which is even bigger you certainly know you have one under the coil.

Nice stuff Doug!

Thank you.

Fantastic finds !

Thank you.

Very nice digs Doug. Congrats.....:yes:

Thank you.

I like the silver.

Thank you, I always like finding silver.

Awesome...as always!

Thank you.

I'm surprised that you guys grow maize. Do you also eat maize on the cob?

Thank you. The maize is for animals for winter feeding. Normally he puts 2 or 3 fields to one side for maize and 2 or 3 fields for grass. (silage)

Nice finds! you guys have all the old stuff on that side of the pond. I feel like a west coaster jealous of us eastern USA guys and what we find. :lol: Congrats!!

Thank you.

Awesome finds. You guys on the other side sure find the cool stuff.

Thank you.

Those are great finds! id be going back there again for sure.Thanks for the pics..HH

Thank you. I went back yesterday but was rained off after 2 hours.

I dug a 1797 two pence coin on a field when I was detecting in England in the mid 90s...just about blew my headphones off.

Nice finds....I do miss hunting over there.

Great post, Doug! What king is the hammered silver penny (that is a silver penny, right?) from? I would LOVE to find a hammered silver coin but they are rather rare (as in non-existent) in Texas - well, other than a few Spanish coins that wash up on the coast.

Congratulations on some really nice finds! That iron religious medallion looks several hundred years old. The acorn/birds head thing appears to have a horizontal seam, mold line, or would it unscrew:no.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on some really nice finds! That iron religious medallion looks several hundred years old. The acorn/birds head thing appears to have a horizontal seam, mold line, or would it unscrew:no.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Really no way of dating the religious medallion.

Acorn mount, the line you can see I suspect is the dividing line between the hard and soft part of the acorn in real life?

The mounts have two prongs on the back which once they go into the leather are bent at 90 degrees to hold it. You can see the two prongs in the link. RHS photograph.

Link:

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=40271&title=acorn-shaped-mount&cat=45

Congrats on a great bunch of finds Doug !

Thank you.

I have been back out into the same field over the last few days with some 'interesting' finds showing up ranging from 3rd/4th century to present day.......:D

Back
Top Bottom