• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

is this a antique ring

tricky1324

found this ring in a box that i had in the garage i opened this weekand while haveing a yard sale. my wife and i dont know where it came from besides the box that we found it in.. anyways its stamp 14k and tested good for gold but whut i want to know is how old is it. and whut kind of jewel is it ruby etc. etc it weight is 6.2 grams all together

Attachments

• DSC01266 (800x600).jpg
    DSC01266 (800x600).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC01267 (800x600).jpg
    DSC01267 (800x600).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC01268 (800x600).jpg
    DSC01268 (800x600).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC01270 (800x600).jpg
    DSC01270 (800x600).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 423
i wont sell it till i have a pound of gold .. but i did some research and amethyst stone can be worth a couple hundred dollars if dark purple, clear, and has a good cut .. but i have nothing for testing stones and i hate even walking in to a pawn shop to even ask if they could tell me... "pawn shops are the biggest crooks"

It looks like Amethyst. Based on the ring's design and construction, I would say you DO have an antiques there. Don't get too excited about the stone though. Amethyst is pretty and jewelers get a few bucks out of them but there is virtually no resale value unless you find someone who likes the whole package. They are not really rare. Just purple quartz.

It looks like it's missing a few prongs...

Great find!

It looks like Amethyst. Based on the ring's design and construction, I would say you DO have an antiques there. Don't get too excited about the stone though. Amethyst is pretty and jewelers get a few bucks out of them but there is virtually no resale value unless you find someone who likes the whole package. They are not really rare. Just purple quartz.

It looks like it's missing a few prongs...

Great find!

OK call me surprised. (Just don't call me late for dinner, or to borrow money, or my truck, or...)

I'm curious about your thoughts as to design, construction, and potential origin on this piece. It's not a custom piece obviously. And amethyst cocktail rings are not exactly rare but I can't place an antique manufacturer of jewelry that includes a 14k semi-precious gem line matching this one. (Up to and including lines as late as the 1920's.)

But, I have several amethyst pieces I've collected over the years (it's my birthstone) and neither I nor my jeweler friend can place them, so i'm definitely interested in any thoughts / ideas / suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

~ Red

ok so i have a really strong feeling this rings must have belong to my late grandmother becuase she was the only other person to live at my house besides my wife and five year old duaghter.. my grandmother had alot of gold and silver rings she gave all them away when she got sick to verious family members and 90% of them she brought with her from mexico..here a ring that she gave me marked and tested 10k stamped mex

Attachments

• DSC01271 (800x600).jpg
    DSC01271 (800x600).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC01272 (800x600).jpg
    DSC01272 (800x600).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC01273 (800x600).jpg
    DSC01273 (800x600).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 330
hard to see detail on this one

If you're able to light this one a little better it could help on a possible ID, but, if it was maybe your grandmothers I would consider keeping it and passing it down to your kids or grandkids some time in the future.

And like frankiefry said don't sell'em in a garage sale!

~ Red

sorry my camera is not very good... time to upgrade.. but i dont plan on selling anything until i save a pound of gold.. and that could be awhile.

Back
Top Bottom