What to use on the Nickel

shen13

Found a 37 Buffalo Nickel today,,
any suggestions what to clean it with>??

Attachments

• DSC02405.JPG
    DSC02405.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 539
  • DSC02403.JPG
    DSC02403.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 542
I've used SoS pads, brushed tooth paste and electrolysis on a few old nickels. Dont like the way they turn out so i just wash 'em up a bit with hot water and soap. Always fun finding old nickles but unfortunately from what i have learned here, is that they dont hold any value after being in the ground, even if its a key date. So i would just try to make it look as good as you want it. Good save anyway man gratz. GL HH

Nickel Cleaning

This will definitely work and will get it to sparkle like new. Drop it in a bath of pure lemon juice for a couple of days. Take it out and rub it gently with a very fine grade of steel wool. Repeat as necessary. It has even worked on some really old V Nickels.

nickel

This will definitely work and will get it to sparkle like new. Drop it in a bath of pure lemon juice for a couple of days. Take it out and rub it gently with a very fine grade of steel wool. Repeat as necessary. It has even worked on some really old V Nickels.

used the sos pad method..not bad for a quick clean.will see what the lemon juice does...

Attachments

• DSC02409.JPG
    DSC02409.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 446
used the sos pad method..not bad for a quick clean.will see what the lemon juice does...
Don't leave it in the "juice" to long! IMO looks good the way it is! I won't use the lemon juice anymore. Think they always look better before it...:(

Make a paste out of baking soda an a little water, apply the paste to the coin an use your fingers to rub in the paste ~ work great.

OK let me ask and please answer.

There are two kinds of SOS pads, Plastic and Steel Wool. Which material is the SOS pad you used made from?

Since this is an abrasive cleaning method we are probably talking about coins that are worthless to start with...
Plastic cannot scratch a coin directly, but may not work as dramatically. Brass is close to the same hardness of the coin and would scratch less than steel. They should make brass wool. I do use a brass brush occasionally. Also you could just but various grades of steel wool. I was told to use fine steel wool on my pocket knife to remove rust. The SOS steel wool looks medium to course.

Back
Top Bottom