• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Florida friend want to know how to get started

rluna

Elite Member
I have a friend who has retired to Florida and wants to start detecting the beaches.

He lives on the hurricane side I think and I guess when ever there is a hurricane, treasures get pushed up onto the beaches.

I don't water detect a lot so I don't feel completely confident suggesting what he should get or do.

I think he could afford a good one so I did suggest that he get a good one.

I could use some help on directing him on what he should get, tips etc

Last edited:
I have been detecting the ocean beaches around Palm Beach county for 10 years.
I can tell you that for me it is a rewarding and satisfying pastime. I'm hesitant about recommending a detector, I have several. I suggest you contact Joe at Reilly Metal detector in Pompano Beach, 954-971-6102. Talk to him about what he suggests. He won't try to sell you an expensive machine. Go slow, decide if metal detecting is for you. Possibly rent one if you can.

My #1 obvious tip would be for your friend to sign up here. Then have him focused on the beach section and he can ask questions.

My #1 obvious tip would be for your friend to sign up here. Then have him focused on the beach section and he can ask questions.
X2
The VAST experience on here is the greatest resource any detectorist could have.

Which side does he consider the hurricane side of Fl.? My side sometimes Hurricanes make the hunting stink. Then they want to pump sand in and it really ruins things. Some of my spots have been ruined since 2012.:shock:

Start out with a Nox 600 …. Then get on here and find a local hunter. They can teach you all ya need to know and he won’t have a huge investment. He will need a digging tool with the understanding right off the bat ….. fill in his holes. Then dig it all … he will learn targets quickly

since he has the money, I assume that means he can afford a decent modern detector. 600 or 800 Equinox.

Watch Terry Shannon videos on youtube. He is a master at reading beaches. This is a must to find the good stuff. Good stuff is located in wet sand.
Terry follows the high tide out or when high tide is receding and moving towards the low tide.

If finding heavy lead sinkers, very old crusted coins you are probably in the right spot, slow down and hunt that area carefully. rings hide among heavy sinkers. if you are finding light junk like aluminum pop tops, light fishing tackle you are wasting your time move on and try to find heavy sinkers.

cuts and bowls formed when rip tides are moving out are the best places to hunt on the beach. keep your eyes out for those areas.

Terry Shannon also has a new book out about beach hunting on Amazon, have your friend buy that book. I read it and it is one of the best beach hunting books. And Terry lives on and hunts the treasure coast of FL. Oh, and Terry now uses an Equinox 800 for his beach hunting.

Attachments

• terryshannonbook2021.jpg
    terryshannonbook2021.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 250
I agree with all the above,
Go Nox...
Get Terry's Book
Join here..

Start out with a Nox 600 …. Then get on here and find a local hunter. They can teach you all ya need to know and he won’t have a huge investment. He will need a digging tool with the understanding right off the bat ….. fill in his holes. Then dig it all … he will learn targets quickly

You gonna give lessons Dew,,,,,,,:laughing:

Get a Nox or an Excal,,,,read the forums but most importantly, get in the water and hunt,,,,over time you will be able to read the beach to find the heavier targets and lead you to gold,,,every hunt try that area that doesn't look great and see if there are targets in it,,,there are times when there will be targets and less people hunted it,,,bottom line, the more you swing the coil and more beach you cover the better your chances are,,gl hh

I’m not much of a teacher ….. but I do know you have to get out there a lot and move around because gold is where ya find it.

Back
Top Bottom