Sunday Evening Finds- Splitting Penny?

jpbbennett

Got back out to the beach tonight after all the storms rolled through...happy the tornadoes went north of us. Got to MD for about 75 minutes, and found both my coins in the first 20 minutes. 2 Mems- 1990 and 1979D. After cleaning them up I noticed that the 1990 had some odd "bubbling" of the copper. I'm not sure it shows up well in the photo, but it looks as though the copper is peeling away from the inner clad. I've collected coins for years and never seen this. Is this a result of sitting in the sand, or does something else do this?

Regardless, I doubled my finds in one day (of course that isn't saying much when you only find one penny the day before), but the bug is definitely settling in for a long "sickness".

Attachments

• 4-2-06.JPG
    4-2-06.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 231
Hi jpbbennett,

Welcome to metal detecting. Once bitten by the MD bug, a person often has a life long affliction.

All Lincoln pennies from 1909 to mid-year 1982 were made of a solid bronze alloy except 1943 was made of steel. From mid-year 1982 to the present they have been made from zinc blanks that are copper coated. These are often called zinc pennies.

The blemish you see on your 1990 penny is the copper peeling off of the zinc blank. These blemishes are very common for zinc pennies that have been in the ground for even a very short time. As time goes by you will find many more like it. In fact you are likely to find some that have segments of the coin completely corroded away. Usually the older bronze pennies hold up much better in the ground than the zinc pennies do.

BTW Lincoln pennies had wheat backs till 1958.

Good Luck
Hunt4Fun

Thanks Hunt. I actually think I may have determined why this one was bubbled. I used CLR on these to clean them up and the one that bubbled was in a little longer. Wouldn't have thought anything of it, but I had three pennies I found yesterday that I put in CLR last night. Long story short, I forgot them until this evening and when I got back to them the rim on one was in real bad shape. A couple of the others were badly pitted. It probably didn't help that they were in the ground a while, but I think I was my own worst enemy in this case. Check out the photos of my finds on the board to see the damage.

Thanks for all the info.

JPB I clean my pennies by tumbling them in aquarium gravel with soap and kaboom and my nics, dimes and quarters with soap and CLR for about 30 minutes.
Just pocket change. Not keepers.

Back
Top Bottom