Odds and Ends - Plus Silver

angellionel

Elite Member
Today’s finds are from a site I had hit last year. The site, a large embankment located next to the Connecticut River, and not far from South Hadley, had yielded some old silver the last time I was there. I decided to give it a try today, figuring that the thicket and weeds that grow wildly during the summer wouldn’t be too much of a problem now.

I left the 950 coil on, which I had put on for yesterday’s land hunt. Working through the matted weeds wasn’t too bad. There is some trash, mostly rusted iron. The first good find was the silver ring, it’s large and thick, but it is somewhat dented. It wasn’t too deep either, coming in at only four inches. The next one, hitting it after digging up the ”key” and heavy stone, was the 1904 Barber quarter. It pinpointed at a little over 7 inches. It has some sulfide staining and it’s a bit worn, but it is otherwise in good shape. :D

The surprise find was the 1893–O Barber half. The VDI had hit at about 90, and it pinpointed at nearly 9 inches. This one is badly worn, though. I also made the mistake of rubbing my thumb across the face while it had dirt on it, creating a few hairline scratches. Darn! :o(

The last silver piece came from the field adjacent to the road, a 1953 Roosie. From there I also picked up three wheaties, dated 1915-D, 1936 and 1940, as well as a few nickels.

The stone caught my attention because it is so heavy. It also reads like a half, with the VDI hitting 92 to 93. I like the key too, or at least that's what I think it is. :?:

Oh yeah, something else I hadn’t counted on yet, my neck got sunburned. :lol:

Angel

coins040206A.jpg

coins040206B.jpg

finds040206A.jpg

finds040206B.jpg

finds040206C.jpg

Now that's what I would call a good day. What kind of key is that? From an old clock?
Sweet finds.

Great finds, Angel! Love that silver! There's definately "someone" watchin' over you. :lol:

JohnnyG said:
Now that's what I would call a good day. What kind of key is that? From an old clock?
Sweet finds.

I really don?t know. It does resemble an old clock key though. :grin:

Krom said:
Great finds, Angel! Love that silver! There's definately "someone" watchin' over you. :lol:

Now I?m not sure whether I should be happy about that or scared! :lol:

Angel

Nice finds, Angel! :yes:

I wonder what kind of stone that is that it would have read that high on the VDI. Interesting!

(scribbles down Connecticut River, Sout Hadley on a piece of paper then tears off with his MD)

It would take me months to find anything like that! :mad:

Good going angel. I got out for a short hunt and got two wheaties no silver. Cladius.

Again you have done quite well my friend. I have worked on/fixed a lot of old clocks, and can't remember ever seeing a square key for one. Usually they are all round barreled with a square hole inside. It is different though. WTG.

Krom said:
Great finds, Angel! Love that silver! There's definately "someone" watchin' over you.  :lol:

Now I?m not sure whether I should be happy about that or scared!   :lol:
Angel
The perfect come-back! :lol:

The only square keys like that I've ever seen were for gas fire places or stoves/heaters. That's my guess.

Thanks for the clues on the "key": hoser and OD! I may have to go back to the site to see if I missed a piece. :grin:

Angel

Back
Top Bottom