Fathers day present miracle! AT Pro

RedNeckTechin

Beware: Long Story Warning!

My father is the one who first introduced me to the idea of metal detecting. It began long ago when I was around 10-12 or so that's what I can recall, with an orange Radio Shack® detector that resembled a serpent style walking cane. Instantly hooked we went about burying little boxes of coins and such in the side yard to make a different brother to go search for it. (Made much easier to trace the source when you find "fresh plugs")

It later returned, almost 15 years later, when I spied a shiny new White's Prizm 6T, in the front window of our small town pawn shop. Just propped up for everyone to see, with an equally impressive $580.00 sticker, as the only blemish to the sleek glossy black battery case and delightful digital readout box. Once a month I would go in to see what I could trade or how low I could get him "cash out the door". That was in 2011. January of 2012 rolls around and I end up getting some odd medical news, that had me rethinking my lookout on life and how I was living it.

With renewed vigor to return to more outdoor activity, I returned with just 1 last offer for that quality looking and fairly well researched detector. (Not having the knowledge then of This amazing forum that is.) A straight up trade for my Video gaming stuff, honest cash value of roughly $280-320 for him out the door. ...he didn't let me get off without an extra crisp $20 I had pulled out to get batteries, while feeling incredibly optimistic.

Now here it is 2014, and I have put in thousands of hours on my Prizm. However, trying to "re-share" the hobby is awkward when he is still using a RS40 (radio shack $40). So finally having the combined knowledge of this forum, and some equally impressive motivators. I had decided on putting off the upgrade to getting myself a pinpointer, that is til that 2.5 gallon jar of nickle-quarter is full up, knicknamed the "TRX crackers" as it started life as a animal cracker jug. So I call up my brothers, both now equally impressed with my triumphant return into "treasure hunting", and explain that I think it's time he had one that could keep up. We agreed to a $600 price cap, and I was really trying to find a way to get an AT Pro with a couple little bonuses and keep it in our budget.

Curve ball was I kinda put off calling til I racked up some "good karma", by helping a couple upright a new fridge in the bed of their pickup and hooking it down with a 2" tow-strap I had picked up laying alongside the interstate a couple months back, while heading back into town from the farm. Decided this morning was the best time to call in to find a "sponsor deal" not even thinking to just look in that section of here. The most read name I could find searching through was Bart at BBH, found the number while getting lunch ready so put off calling even a while longer. Finally decide to give him a call and see what sort of deal there was to be had, Bam! he threw out 2-3 deals that had me thinking I knew exactly what I needed. Then...He hooked me up just like everyone says he does. With the perfect deal on a used AT Pro bundle I just couldn't resist. Amazing service and knew exactly what I was asking for right off!

Got it ordered and now can't wait to go "help" him try it out. Mostly just want to figure out if I will need to get myself one by taking him for a lake trip...maybe even throw in a fishing day if we can "swing" both. Thank you forum for being so knowlegable and, with the brief rants aside, a great group of people to read stories and posts from, keep up the good work! Good Luck to all and HH.​

p.s. Please Stay Hydrated!

Great story! I hope you and your father find lots of great stuff on your first hunt together with the Pro. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

That was such a great thing to do. The time with your dad will be priceless. I hope you're both VERY successful!

Back
Top Bottom