Monday-Tuesday Finds-Mems & Wheatie!

jpbbennett

The weather made the weatherman a liar. We expected some rain and got none, so I was out last night for 1 hour and tonight for 2. Absolutely still tonight on the beach, and a beautiful night to be outside. The pelicans are here this time of year, and I could hear them and other birds all the way from across the lake.

Last night I continued my streak by finding 3 mems...2005D, 1989, and 2004D. I learned a good lesson as well. I have been cleaning my pennies with a mild solution of CLR and water, letting them soak a bit and then cleaning them up with a brush. Usually does ok, especially with the ones I don't worry about (they'll be cashed soon). But last night I had dropped them in the solution and got pulled away...I think you know the rest...and I didn't realize it until this evening when I returned from my hunt. Needless to say the solution wasn't nice to the zincolns. You can see by the photo that one got eaten, and the other two were pitted. I'd rather learn the lesson on those than something else, although I know not to clean something of real value. Anyone have something that will clean them up after soaking for a bit (so they look presentable) but isn't so caustic that leaving it in too long would hurt it? Peroxide? Let me know.

Tonight I went out with my 7 year old daughter. She has been wanting to go with me for a week so we went to the beach and hunted for 2 hours. Didn't find much of anything early, but found a penny along the sidewalk to the beach. It was pretty dirty, and she was anxious to put it in her "treasure" pouch, so I didn't examine it much. When I got home and examined it I found it was a 1945D wheatie...my first! She was good luck! We also found a 2002D as we meandered back to the truck. A good night...and one for each of us.

That brings my grand total to 7 mems and 1 wheatie in less than a week. Wouldn't sound like much, but has been a blast. Still looking for my first nickel, dime, or quarter...why do they seem so elusive?

Attachments

• 4-3-06.JPG
    4-3-06.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 4-4-06.JPG
    4-4-06.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 151
Oh the fun has only begun for you. Pretty soon those other coins will start showing up, and then you will really be hooked. :shock: :lol: And you are in the right place, with the right people for this addiction. :yes: GL & HH.

It may not seem like a huge start to some, but the first time you dig something out of the ground with some value to it, you're hooked. I still haven't found any wheaties, nor have I found any silver coins, but the Sterling I found at the beach fired me up like you wouldn't believe.

Keep on diggin'!

OH

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the motivation. Can't say that I am discouraged, as I get excited by the thought of going out each day, just trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong. I'm still learning my machine, although I am getting better, and I worry that I'm missing digs I should be making. I try and dig everything unless I am pretty sure it's junk, but I would have thought on a beach that you would find other clad than pennies...quarters, nickels, etc...as you'd think they's be lost as well.

I'm also trying to perfect the art of pinpointing, as I can get it down to the width of my coil (8") but would love to be accurate to the width of my trowel (3"). Am I being unreasonable, or will thi come with practice?

jpbbennett said:
I try and dig everything unless I am pretty sure it's junk...

Ah - let me pass on something I've learned in my few months as a detector swinger: What you're pretty sure is junk TODAY will see your trowel tomorrow!    :!:   I'm not notching out much above low iron and foil these days, and I'm getting pretty good at identifying foil from the "LCD dance" - but I still dig it.  A month ago I would pass it by - and all the gold that hides in the same signal range.

OH

Good point. Not trying to be lazy, but I had a stretch where I was hitting beavertails at 2" over and over and decided that if it read tab at 2", I would save the time. The nice thing is I can go over the area reetitively because I live near by and can save it for when I have a bit more time.

It took me awhile to find something I considered good when I started back into this hobby after a few years of not detecting. It took about a month before I found my first silver dime. After some research and getting to know my detector a lot better I had found several old coins and they just kept getting older. Now it seems like I have a hard time not finding coins from around the turn of the century. I say it seems that way because some days I just get skunked. It's going to happen, so don't let it get you down. Your day is a comin'!

Back
Top Bottom