Just venting, YouTube videos

L0S3R

Elite Member
If your gonna make videos, show the vdi and the sound. Otherwise your video is useless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Videos should be helpful in some way. I can go to a coin shop if I just want to see old coins. Wouldn’t mind hearing what a slightly turned coin might sound like on a particular machine.

Wear shoes and socks rather than sandals. I don't want to look at a close up of your feet while you're swinging the detector. Don't make a video when the wind is blowing 30 MPH.:windy: Don't make a video if you're out of breath after walking 3 paces. And PLEASE...…...don't bother with an unboxing video....I think we all know how to take a detector out of a box. :lol:

AND if you have a sand scoop and you still scoop up then dump what you have in your scoop then kick the find , scoop it up again then take a jackhammer to what you found, I can't watch anymore.

How about using a sand scoop the way it was designed ?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

If I can't see the detector or hear it I refuse to watch.

And one more thing, I watched a video where someone was comparing detectors. Dug a hole and placed coins one at a time, scanned over the hole and both detectors struggled hitting the target, because trash in the plug.

And how about the guys who never seem to trim their long dirty fingernails ? The close-ups are brutal. Makes me puke in my mouth ! Just go ahead and put some pretty nail polish on and be done with it.....

Wear shoes and socks rather than sandals. I don't want to look at a close up of your feet while you're swinging the detector. Don't make a video when the wind is blowing 30 MPH.:windy: Don't make a video if you're out of breath after walking 3 paces. And PLEASE...…...don't bother with an unboxing video....I think we all know how to take a detector out of a box. :lol:

:yes: Yup, what Ed said.

Yes I agree to sit and watch just to hear " ok guys over another hole hear " or " got another target here" gets old really fast. Now I realize live digs take more time as does the editing but still I want hear the signal, see the numbers, how the machine behaves. To me that makes a video interesting. JMO Mark

Good post LOS-3R . The funnest videos are where you can "put yourself in his shoes ". Which means capturing the sounds. And seeing what he is trying to isolate vs what he is trying to pass. And seeing live digs. Vs just post-dig open holes, or an object in someone's hand.

This would all require editing at the end. But it makes for much better action.

An analogy would be: Watching NFL player posing in the end-zone, after having successfully crossed the goal line. VS seeing the actual play that led up to that touchdown.

....Don't make a video if you're out of breath after walking 3 paces....:

I've been experimenting with taking video and I had no idea how many weird noises I make. Not out of breath or anything, but clearing my throat, a grunt when I kneel down to dig the plug, etc... I've never noticed this in other people's videos, but I'm sure other people do it. So maybe it isn't a big deal, but I sure noticed it in my own video.

Another challenge with the "live digs" is feeling compelled to jabber to "the audience". I hunted for about 5 hours yesterday. It was my third day experimenting with video and I had it rolling the entire time. Eventually I got quiet, but then I had the opposite problem. I had to remember to explain any switched settings or describe what the piece of trash was I snatched out of the hole without showing it to the camera. I'm also getting over the sense of being watched and not feeling the need to explain myself as I skip over signals other people might dig.

In one of IDXMonster's videos he starts out by saying: "There's a big difference between going metal detecting versus going metal detecting and making a video that's interesting."

Good points made !

Unless the person has blocked comments on their youtube video, it might be good to suggest ideas to make their detecting videos better in their comments section, if they truly want more regular repeat viewers they will consider the suggestions.

I think it's annoying when they spend 10 minutes swinging and pinpointing over a target. Just stop already and dig it up.

I totally disagree. I don't need to know the VDI or see the screen. I don't watch metal detecting videos to learn anything. I just want to see the cool coins and relics people find. Metal detecting videos are NOT meant to be instructional videos. Get out there and learn how to use your detector. Sitting on your butt watching someone else detect won't help much.

I also don't want to hear the signal 25 times before someone digs a target. We get it, it's probably a coin. Dig it already! Even more annoying is someone who keeps poking their pinpointer in the hole trying to find the target without actually touching the dirt. Grab some dirt and run it over your coil or poke it with the pinpointer. I HATE the sound of a Garrett carrot! Just my take on videos.

Oh, one other thing. Something I realized after my hunt yesterday is that I need to resist the thought that filming changes what I've always felt made for a successful hunt. Specifically, a good hunt is getting out to some place that has some potential for good finds, my equipment working as it should, being left alone, enjoying the peace and quiet, a chance to test my skills in difficult conditions, learn something new, and find one interesting thing.

So, yesterday, I found a few wheat pennies, a cool Victorian era ring, and a few other relics. No good coins or tokens. Normally, I really wouldn't have been all that disappointed.

But, after going through the trouble of recording, it would be easy to think it wasn't eye popping enough to bother with editing and sharing and therefore the hunt wasn't a success.

Unless the person has blocked comments on their youtube video, it might be good to suggest ideas to make their detecting videos better in their comments section, if they truly want more regular repeat viewers they will consider the suggestions.

My advice is to keep your comments to yourself. No one wants some smart you know what trying to tell you how to make better videos. It's suppose to be fun, nothing more. Don't like someone's videos, don't watch them.

I totally disagree. I don't need to know the VDI or see the screen. I don't watch metal detecting videos to learn anything. I just want to see the cool coins and relics people find. Metal detecting videos are NOT meant to be instructional videos. Get out there and learn how to use your detector. Sitting on your butt watching someone else detect won't help much.

Obviously, a lot of people do want to watch videos for those reasons. Some people can't get out as much as they would like (or at all) and enjoy feeling like they're part of the hunt, rather than just show and tell.

Some people hunt plenty, but they like to see the environments and places other people get to hunt and see the differences other than what comes out of the ground.

Some people are looking to buy a different detector and want to see how the XYZ Superdetector 2000 behaves.

Some people DO learn by watching videos AND doing the activity. Metal detecting videos certainly can be instructional. It's not either/or.

Some people don't have multiple detectors or they just don't have the time or even sensibilities to think of valid tests or experiments. So, if somebody else wants to spend their time doing a video showing different settings over the same target using the same detector they own, then they can watch it, learn something, and spend their own time detecting.

I also don't want to hear the signal 25 times before someone digs a target. We get it, it's probably a coin. Dig it already!

I've caught myself doing this (not recording) and wondered to myself..."What the heck am I doing? DIG!!!" I'd like to think that I'm trying to impress upon my brain the sound of the signal in case it's a good one. I do think people might be thinking of something--listening for something--that they aren't explaining on video. Other times I think it's just a mindless bad habit. I'm guilty of it sometimes.

Even more annoying is someone who keeps poking their pinpointer in the hole trying to find the target without actually touching the dirt. Grab some dirt and run it over your coil or poke it with the pinpointer. I HATE the sound of a Garrett carrot! Just my take on videos.

Yeah, I hear you on that. I usually have my pinpointer on vibrate only, but have turned on the audio for the videos. It's annoying to me.

One thing people can learn from metal detecting vidoes is how to NOT recover a target. Chasing every iron signal in the hole with their pinpointer. Stabbing their digging tool directly into the "target zone". Digging far too deep. Or, taking a sliver of dirt out at a time when the pinpointer is clearly showing the target is at least an inch or so deeper. (Just get way behind the target and get it out of the hole. The list goes on. I'm not perfect by any means, but I have at least some idea of what I'm doing.

How about the guys who find the target with a pinpointer and then ram a shovel into the ground to dig some more? I want to scream! You're going to hit a 250 year old coin with that thing! Use your fingers to locate it. If the pinpointer's giving off a signal, it can't be more than two inches under the dirt.

My advice is to keep your comments to yourself. No one wants some smart you know what trying to tell you how to make better videos. It's suppose to be fun, nothing more. Don't like someone's videos, don't watch them.

Free-bird, do you hunt with others? Or hunt solo?

One of the intrigues of the hobby, when you're hunting with a partner, is: If your buddy is getting better/faster action, is to compare signals. To see what/how he's interpreting. And to relish the "come to papa " moments of a beautiful 4-star signal from a historic relicky site.

Back
Top Bottom