Shooting at the park while detecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida’s “Stand-Your-Ground” law was passed in 2005. The law allows those who feel a reasonable threat of death or bodily injury to “meet force with force” rather than retreat. Similar “Castle Doctrine” laws assert that a person does not need to retreat if their home is attacked.
Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine Laws - Bill of ...
billofrightsinstitute.org/educate/educator-resources/lessons-plans/current-events/stand-your-ground… States that have passed stand your ground laws include:
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
West Virginia
Note: Some states have adopted stand your ground-like doctrines through judicial interpretation of their self-defense laws -- but they're not included on this list.
States That Impose a Duty to Retreat
On the other end of the legal spectrum, some states impose a duty to retreat. A duty to retreat generally means that you can't resort to deadly force in self-defense if you can safely avoid the risk of harm or death (by walking away, for example). If that's not an option, say if you were cornered or pinned down and facing serious harm or death, then you would be authorized to use deadly force in self-defense.
It's important to note that, even in duty-to-retreat states, there's no duty to retreat from an intruder in your home. These states all adhere to some version of the castle doctrine as well.
Thank you ! Very informative. Maybe it's a good thing California isn't on that list. The courts would be clogged with cases of "Stand against idiots".

I live about 30 minutes west of ST. Louis and the difference is like night and day. Still plenty of historic places to hunt , lots of parks , safe with little crime. Just a bit farther out from me is a lot of smaller towns and cities ,many were part of the old route 66 highway , others along the river were once big river front towns when the steam ships ruled , now small cities with a fraction of the population they had in their boom days.

I guess parks in St. Louis are so bad the detecting clubs might need armored transport for group hunts …….seriously ! :shock:
St_Louis_detecting _club_transport.jpg

Growing up as a Yooper in the 70's and 80's gun violence was unheard of up there. If you went to any given block of 20 houses there was probably 50-100 guns with ammo between them and people never even bothered lock their doors. Of course everyone also knew that if you were to try something stupid you would be on the wrong end of one of them. I never even heard or anyone getting shot up there with the exception of the annual trips to deer camp when there are way too many cases of Old Mil shared and those were accidents of drunken stupidity and not intentional crimes. Never agreed with the idea that guns lead to wild west mentality. Typically the areas with the most guns per capita also have the lowest crime rates. You're typical criminal is a useless coward looking for a easy target and if they think you may be armed are going to pass right by you and look for granny down the street with arm loads of groceries and no one around.

true even "obtuse" people have "limited common sense!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Well JT I have a LTC but it’s actually better to let yourself get mugged in this state than shoot someone in self defense ! I know a person who fired just a warning shot in a situation where she felt threatened her life was made miserable for several years, she had her license revoked, court costs, fines and attorney fees nearly destroyed her family financially and the worst was that the attacker and her family tried to sue her! She had her license reinstated after more attorneys fees and court time, but why would she carry again?:mad: This state never makes it easy.

this is very true! never, ever fire a "warning" shot! only use "deadly force" to protect, and preserve life!..period!...never,ever show a 'firearm" and "NOT" use it to protect your life! you open yourself up for all kinds of "litigation" as you so accurately pointed out!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Well KOB here in MA if someone kicks in my back door, before I try to defend myself and property I’m supposed to make an effort to escape the threat before I defend myself.

ehe! heh! he! a "political" "hell-hole!" state's a "toilet!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

It's a good thing you don't feel the need for a gun since felons can't have one anyway. All part of keeping "unstable" people from having guns.

How did you get criminals to obey your laws?

Not? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

As no guns are allowed smaller criminals also hardly have guns. Shootings happen but are not usual. Bigger criminals do have guns, but don't wave them around all day and mostly shoot at each other "discreet".
Here (big) knifes are the biggest problem, lately. https://tinyurl.com/v2fernu
And further more. Doors shut. Alarms on houses and cars. Camera's.
And you need no gun to defend yourself wen attacked as that normally is also not with a gun. Or sometimes at most a fake gun. Gas propelled BB handguns looking like a real one.

At the end. I am not affraid that quick, but i never ever got affraid while out hunting. Not even in the "bad neighbourhoods" in my reach. And that is not because i didn't confront strange situations.
And i traveled a lot in my life and was in many big cities including bad hoods, also abroad, and i only confronted not even a hand full situations were i was highly allert, but not even scared. Really exciting twice.

So yes, i'm really happy not everyone carries a gun and bullets don't fly arround. No mather wether their fired by criminals or people defending themselves.

Last edited:
St. Louis parks / with protection

I guess parks in St. Louis are so bad the detecting clubs might need armored transport for group hunts …….seriously ! :shock:
View attachment 459297

With that around I might feel safe there :laughing: St Louis said you can't have a gun in the parks but nothing about a tank like that . In December 2019, St. Louis passed an ordinance forbidding the carrying of firearms in city parks, athletic fields and facilities, and recreational facilities.

Last edited:
felons and guns

It's a good thing you don't feel the need for a gun since felons can't have one anyway. All part of keeping "unstable" people from having guns.

Just because the law says felons can't have a gun sure doesn't stop them in St. Louis , Missouri .The majority felons and gang members that get arrested again have a illegal weapon on them. The majority of the guns on the street there are illegal , the criminals often have more fire power than the police. In December 2019, St. Louis passed an ordinance forbidding the carrying of firearms in city parks, athletic fields and facilities, and recreational facilities.

Just because the law says felons can't have a gun sure doesn't stop them in St. Louis , Missouri .The majority felons and gang members that get arrested again have a illegal weapon on them. The majority of the guns on the street there are illegal , the criminals often have more fire power than the police. In December 2019, St. Louis passed an ordinance forbidding the carrying of firearms in city parks, athletic fields and facilities, and recreational facilities.

I watched a fat cop chase a dude across the highway and tackle him into the gravely pavement right beside me turning the guys face to hamburger. It took the fight out of the guy quick the cop had him under control almost instantly but you could tell he was out of breath. I said if you need help just ask and the cop said he was fine but asked if I would stay until back up arrived and make a statement. After the other cops showed up they searched hamburger face and found a bullet. One of the cops knew his name and told him that bullet was going to send him to prison. According to that cop the fed court here counted a bullet the same as a gun for felons and that was the only thing that kept him from being another catch and release.

At a park in a town south of me I noticed a guy sitting on the picnic table next to the sign that said no alcohol, no firearms and a bunch of other rules. He had a gun on his hip, I asked if he had ever had any problems with the authorities about a gun in the park. Turns out he was a cop waiting for a busload of juvenile delinquents going on a canoe trip. He told me there was no law about guns in the park, just a sign

It's a good thing you don't feel the need for a gun since felons can't have one anyway. All part of keeping "unstable" people from having guns

Stupid comment. I've never owned a gun, never wanted one, but could have one tomorrow if I wanted one. That's the reality of living in a country with WAY too many unregistered firearms.

As for that moronic "unstable" comment, I doubt if many people think it's "unstable" to defend yourself and your family against a person threatening you in your own home.

Stupid comment. I've never owned a gun, never wanted one, but could have one tomorrow if I wanted one. That's the reality of living in a country with WAY too many unregistered firearms.

As for that moronic "unstable" comment, I doubt if many people think it's "unstable" to defend yourself and your family against a person threatening you in your own home.

And way to many unregistered bats too.

Doesn't matter if many people don't think it's unstable to defend yourself, if the prosecutor and judge thinks it is.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this deal. Unfortunately, I live in a state that doesn't have castle laws. I could have shot him dead in Texas and wouldn't have been charged with anything. Seems odd that the U.S. allows individual states to dictate what's a crime and what isn't.

The latest statute in my state is to "red flag" someone. That means they can take your guns away even if you have never committed a crime or threatened anyone. I'm not a gun person, but this law is definitely over the top, in my opinion.

"The police may petition the Superior Court to issue an extreme risk protection order if they receive credible information of a significant and imminent risk. A judge may issue a temporary gun-removal order, but a hearing is required within 14 days to determine if a one-year ban on buying or possessing a firearm is warranted."

In other words, your ex-girlfriend can have your guns taken away if they go crying to the police and tell them you're danger to her. This is what happens when you have a woman running your state...

I've tried to stay out of the deeper end of this thread, but Tim said something here that I think should be pointed out, to his credit. At the risk of stepping too deeply into the political end of the pool, I proceed......

I could have shot him dead in Texas and wouldn't have been charged with anything.

Not necessarily true, Tim. It would depend on how the LEO's and local prosecutor viewed the circumstances. You would have more latitude in how you dealt with the situation, but it's up to the prosecutor to determine if you broke any laws in doing so.

Seems odd that the U.S. allows individual states to dictate what's a crime and what isn't.

And that's the beauty of our governmental system, Tim. It's set up that way in the Constitution and Bill of Rights. A "one size fits all" type of government doesn't really work when going from one geographical area to another, as the circumstances are as varied as the states. Common sense in California doesn't equal common sense in Alaska or the mountains of Tennessee.
I cannot know how old you are, or how much you were taught about our system in school, so I'll not berate you a lack of understanding concerning some of the previous statements you made in this thread.

The latest statute in my state is to "red flag" someone. That means they can take your guns away even if you have never committed a crime or threatened anyone. I'm not a gun person, but this law is definitely over the top, in my opinion.

Here's the statement that I give you credit for. You seemed, to me, to be anti-firearm with some of your previously posted statements, but this paragraph shows that there is some understanding on your part when it comes to firearms laws, and the dangers they can present to a law-abiding citizen. Kudos to you for that. Some of those "red flag" laws in other states are written more loosely than "yours", and can lead to neighbors that don't like you being able to have one "flagged", on the same order as having someone "swatted" by a local PD with a lying call to 911.

"The police may petition the Superior Court to issue an extreme risk protection order if they receive credible information of a significant and imminent risk. A judge may issue a temporary gun-removal order, but a hearing is required within 14 days to determine if a one-year ban on buying or possessing a firearm is warranted."

At least "yours" has the "credible information" inserted into it. Still, a major problem with many of them is that the accused is not advised of the complaint, is not invited to the hearing to defend themselves, and is blind-sided when the PD shows up in full gear, guns out, ready to shoot at the least provocation. This will, if it hasn't already, lead to innocent people getting killed by law enforcement due to lies from an anti-gunner that has no merit, and the "plaintiff" not being held accountable for the false complaint.

In other words, your ex-girlfriend can have your guns taken away if they go crying to the police and tell them you're danger to her. This is what happens when you have a woman running your state...

(Chuckle).....At the risk of being chastised for being politically incorrect.......This brings to mind a saying one of my Tuesday morning "breakfast club" members likes to use. "We should have never let them vote." (He's 80 this year, and has almost 20 years on my level of experience.)

Sheesh! I got a little windy with this response, didn't I?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom