Random Curbstrip Gold

Foragist

Forum Supporter
So I did a little magnet fishing today, but that's another story. I put that away, and tried detecting a few small spots in town. Wasn't finding much, so I was working my way toward home. I decided to try a curb strip about 4 blocks from home. As soon as I got my detector out, people started coming and going from the house I was in front of, and the next house too. The guy was kinda givin' me a frown, so I thought I better make this quick, only dig solid targets, and just ignore them. I didn't get more than 10 or 12 feet, and the 2nd solid target read like a copper penny at 3 inches. When I saw gold in a little ball of dirt in the hole, I was thinking I got another plated heartbreaker. With a closer look, I changed my mind. This is real gold! In the pouch. Pinpointer off. Detector off. Headed for the truck. I'm outa here! :D
The black onyx stone popped out during cleaning, but the ring is scrap anyway.
Weighs 3.4g. The stamp was destroyed at the break, with just a "K" remaining. Acid tested to 18K! [UPDATE: It's 14K; Not 18K. Operator error]
My second gold ring this year...or ever. The White's Eagle Spectrum soars again.

Attachments

• DSCN7355.jpg
    DSCN7355.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCN7354.jpg
    DSCN7354.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 409
  • DSCN7359.jpg
    DSCN7359.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 450
  • DSCN7358.jpg
    DSCN7358.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Nice surprise! Congrats!
Thanks. Yes it was! :yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice.....:yes:
Thank you. It made my day!

Man! I need one of those!:yes:
Don't we all? Hope you hit one soon.
Sounds like it rang up quite high on the detector, nice save! :)
Thank you. My machine called it penny/dime, with consistent readings from 77 to 79. I guess that is a bit on the high side for gold rings.

Awesome find Foragist! I think I should start curbstrip hunting, I have been shying away from doing it, but am running low on good ground to hunt. Do your curbstrip hunts ever turn into permissions?

Thank you. It made my day!

Don't we all? Hope you hit one soon.

Thank you. My machine called it penny/dime, with consistent readings from 77 to 79. I guess that is a bit on the high side for gold rings.

Definitely on the high side for how thin it is, sometimes heavy thick bands have been known to come up that high. Excellent dig!!!

Awesome find Foragist! I think I should start curbstrip hunting, I have been shying away from doing it, but am running low on good ground to hunt. Do your curbstrip hunts ever turn into permissions?
Thanks LOL. (not laughing; just abbreviating) No permissions from it yet, but a lot of the folks are friendly, and I expect it will lead to something sooner or later. I'm not too bold about asking, though.

Definitely on the high side for how thin it is, sometimes heavy thick bands have been known to come up that high. Excellent dig!!!
Thanks. This ring has a tiny(broken) band, but is top heavy. It also had that little silver metal retainer piece under the stone, and the bezel is framed in either white gold or silver. These things must have had an effect on the signal.

UPDATE: 14K not 18K

OK, so I'm new at this acid testing thing, and the instructions are a little vague. After researching and retesting, the yellow gold definitely tests to 14K; not 18. A little let-down, but hey, it's still a gold ring! :D

So I did a little magnet fishing today, but that's another story. I put that away, and tried detecting a few small spots in town. Wasn't finding much, so I was working my way toward home. I decided to try a curb strip about 4 blocks from home. As soon as I got my detector out, people started coming and going from the house I was in front of, and the next house too. The guy was kinda givin' me a frown, so I thought I better make this quick, only dig solid targets, and just ignore them. I didn't get more than 10 or 12 feet, and the 2nd solid target read like a copper penny at 3 inches. When I saw gold in a little ball of dirt in the hole, I was thinking I got another plated heartbreaker. With a closer look, I changed my mind. This is real gold! In the pouch. Pinpointer off. Detector off. Headed for the truck. I'm outa here! :D
The black onyx stone popped out during cleaning, but the ring is scrap anyway.
Weighs 3.4g. The stamp was destroyed at the break, with just a "K" remaining. Acid tested to 18K! [UPDATE: It's 14K; Not 18K. Operator error]
My second gold ring this year...or ever. The White's Eagle Spectrum soars again.

Man. Great find! Cool story, too. Just goes to show, that gold is where you find it, eh?

Dude that’s a sweet looking ring, nice work!!!
Thanks GS. It was a fine piece in it's day. Fine scrap gold now.

Huge congratulations!
You are having a great month, keep it up:D
Thanks Matt. It's shaping up to be a decent detecting year for me. :D

Nice score!
Thank you! Cross court, buzzer beating, game winning swish kind of score for me!
Man. Great find! Cool story, too. Just goes to show, that gold is where you find it, eh?
Yep. Seek, and thou shall find. Old curb strips have seen all kinds of activity, so they can be good mixed bag hunting grounds. Thanks again, Skippy for your inspirations on ring hunting. I'm digging more rings this year than ever before. Just got another cool junker a couple days ago too. Still looking for a sterling ring this year, but I'll happily take the gold!

A beauty representation of THE toughest dirt gold find Foragist! All filigree rings give off a stupid signal, Yours had a broken band even, which makes it a triply hard of a target to hear, even for the most advanced in this Sport......

'Filigree gold ring with a broken band' is a damn near impossible target!.....Once again, I'm impressed....Congratulations on that trophy!.

Yep. Seek, and thou shall find. Old curb strips have seen all kinds of activity, so they can be good mixed bag hunting grounds. Thanks again, Skippy for your inspirations on ring hunting. I'm digging more rings this year than ever before. Just got another cool junker a couple days ago too. Still looking for a sterling ring this year, but I'll happily take the gold!

Heck yeah. Gold
Over silver any day!!!

Glad to have helped ya. I average about 1.5 rings a hunt these days. About 4/5 are junk, but the fact i’m Finding them in parks I just did last year tells me that people lose a LOT of rings.

Nice gold score, Foragist! Thanks for the good read, too. Way to persevere despite the sudden people traffic. That's the hardest part of curb stripping, I think - getting over the feeling that you shouldn't be there.

I highly recommend curb strips, especially if you have an older area of town you can hit. Curb strips get a variety of traffic over such a long span of time, they're naturals for producing a wide range of great finds. And they can definitely turn into additional permissions - I've gotten a few permissions, both directly and indirectly, from my curb strip hunts.

Back
Top Bottom