Fireman's Badge

Foragist

Forum Supporter
Found this little badge in a curbstrip in Cornell, WI. I talked to a neighboring homeowner who told me all this area was detected by a couple guys a few years ago.(I get this a lot around here) He also told me he is a fireman, and the fire dept badges are much bigger now. He didn't know how old it might be.

I am really happy to have found an actual badge. I may bring it down to the Fire dept for show and tell.

There was a pin on the back, but it broke during cleaning. The rest of the crud is very hard and not coming off. Suggestions?

Attachments

• DSCN7321.jpg
    DSCN7321.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 455
  • DSCN7319.jpg
    DSCN7319.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCN7320.jpg
    DSCN7320.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCN7326.jpg
    DSCN7326.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 412
Fantastic find! ...almost looks burnt...may be tough to get that crud off without a chisel. But at least it’s on the back, right?

That’s a sweet find, especially for the size.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas special edition.
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring
Total clad 2018 - 45$

vinegar. Give it a good soak. dont be afraid to get a pair of pliers to crush up any of the crud on the back, just make sure you arent getting the badge in the middle.

Really wont be able to date the badge, they still look the same. My modern wallet badge is an identical design to the one you found.

Its a very cool find, it will look very nice once its cleaned up. It is most likely nickel plates brass or copper which is why its corroding green

Thank you peoples! I had some hydrogen peroxide handy, so I soaked for only a few minutes, then used a brass wire brush. A brass scraper took off some of the rust on back. Pretty happy with the results, so I rubbed it with a silver polishing cloth.
The eagle is holding a banner that says something on it, but it's too worn to read.

Attachments

• DSCN7330.jpg
    DSCN7330.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 374
  • DSCN7333.jpg
    DSCN7333.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 358
This is my actual badge for my uniform. It is about 4 inches long, and seems to be a similar design.
10695ae79bdd30ef8b27505ad516f98b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Found this little badge in a curbstrip in Cornell, WI. I talked to a neighboring homeowner who told me all this area was detected by a couple guys a few years ago.(I get this a lot around here) He also told me he is a fireman, and the fire dept badges are much bigger now. He didn't know how old it might be.

I am really happy to have found an actual badge. I may bring it down to the Fire dept for show and tell.

There was a pin on the back, but it broke during cleaning. The rest of the crud is very hard and not coming off. Suggestions?

Neat find!
Great job cleaning it up too.

Thank you everybody! I showed it to the one fireman that was at the Cornell fire station today. He really liked it, and said his dad used to carry one just like it as a wallet badge, in the '50s and '60s. I was thinking about donating it to them if they had a display of similar old fire dept. stuff, but they don't. It now has a home in my new display case I put up today.

Attachments

• DSCN7346.jpg
    DSCN7346.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 276
Back
Top Bottom