Itching for a salt water detector...

CollegeKevin

So its been about a week now of me wanting a salt water detector for the Long Island beaches. Only problem is the price. Things in my price range are the:

*Tesoro Sand Shark
*Tesoro Tiger Shark
*Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II

These I can purchase right now but I'm not sure whats going to work better on the beaches. Its either that or I wait another couple weeks and give in to paying something in the $1000 range (which is sort of a lot for me).

These would include:
*Whites Beach Hunter 300
*Whites Surf PI Pro
*Or the very pricey Minelab Excalibur II (which I've watched a lot of great YouTube videos on)

I plan on going to a club meeting this Wed night full of guys that do a lot of beach detecting, so Im hoping to get a little more familiar with these detectors and try to rule some out.

I use a Sand Shark at Jones and Robert Moses and do very well. It performs at least as well as the Whites or Garrett machines, costs less and is the ONLY one with a lifetime warranty. You'll also need a $150-$200.00 sandscoop and a VLF machine like an Ace 250 for the dry sand. Don't forget your permit! :cool:

I use a Sand Shark at Jones and Robert Moses and do very well. It performs at least as well as the Whites or Garrett machines, costs less and is the ONLY one with a lifetime warranty. You'll also need a $150-$200.00 sandscoop and a VLF machine like an Ace 250 for the dry sand. Don't forget your permit! :cool:

Permit is on my list along with the sand scoop. I visited a shop off of Sunrise HW who has a nice scoop and they reminded me of getting a permit. Ive only seen Whites detectors there so I'll have to ask him if he can get anything else if I see him at the club meeting on Wed. Thanks for the recommendation Terry. I would much rather buy a $600 detector then a $1400 detector even if it means missing a couple signals.

Sand Shark for the wet sand/surf definitely. Any decent land machine will handle the dry sand and allow you to discriminate.

I like the 8" coil on the Sand Shark. Terrific depth and better pinpointing capabilities.

Well was on my way to the monthly MD meeting in Nassau county and all of a sudden I hear wop wop wop wop wop. Pull over, check the tires, see nothing obvious so get back in and drive another mile thinking it there's something in the tread it would come out. Still making the sound so I pull over again. There it is on in my passengers side front tire...

picture.php

Needless to say I didnt make the meeting. I was excited about it for the past week. Guess I'll have to wait another month. :(

Sorry about the tire! I use the 8" Coil. Plenty of depth, easier to move through the water, and better finding smaller targets. You won't miss any signals, you'll hear everything! :laughing: Seriously, Whites Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark are Same-Same in depth and ability. Sand Shark is easier to use, costs less, and has a lifetime warranty..

Hey, i would go with the Tesoro Sand Shark. It seems like a good water detector, and i would give it a try. After all, Tesoro is a great company :)

Back
Top Bottom