latest MineLab Excal model...

That's ahame they would send it back sounding like that. Did Max ever follow-up on that and what was the outcome ?

She is going back today..lets see how long it takes, and what they do... My first guess is a bad coil, Second the Mainboard

Any changes, will Void the warranty...here is a good one...from Max....

Me, I would buy old before new, I still don't feel 100% about the new..

Nothing against the new Excal11 owners but if I was to purchase another Excal I would not buy the new one... with a Excal NY or the old Excal1000 would be my choices...

I bet it gets a new circuit board, its much more cost effective to just remove and replace the board then bench test which component is causing the issue.

While we're talking about the Excal II... what if you don't get any threshold and detect no targets? Battery is good and I get the "pop" when I turn it on.

My 2 week old unit worked great until today... I was getting it ready for an early morning hunt tomorrow. Battery is charging but showed 13VDC. Guess it'll have to go back as well...

Things happen with electronics, but just seems weird that it would happen today...

Guess I'll be out with the AT Pro tomorrow...

I have had my Excal II since Sept 2011 and have had no problems other that a knob cap falling off..
However I have only hunted wet and dry..It has not been submerged as of yet, so we will see.
I just rinse it with fresh water after each hunt...

My 2 week old unit worked great until today... I was getting it ready for an early morning hunt tomorrow. Battery is charging but showed 13VDC. Guess it'll have to go back as well... Guess I'll be out with the AT Pro tomorrow...

OK that's enough talk about the Excal II... I'm convinced it's not going to be my first water detector. Really sorry to hear yours punked out today. There is clearly something going on with MineLab and I just get a bad vib every time I read a new fail story. Moving off of the Malasia company and heading back to the good old USA.

Whites BeachHunter 300 DF... you're up. Not all dealers are certified Whites distributors. K'co is hiding the price right now and I don't know why. I'm familiar with Whites construction and love their shaft locks plus the service warranty is first rate. Since there are few perks offered with the DF at K'co and the price you have to ask for there must be a back order problem right now or maybe something worse going on. Is it a hot ticket or a recall, i've been out of the loop all winter.

So who's purchased a DF lately?
http://whiteselectronics.com/beachhunter-300.html
http://whiteselectronics.com/surf-pi-dual-field.html

OK that's enough talk about the Excal II... I'm convinced it's not going to be my first water detector. Really sorry to hear yours punked out today. There is clearly something going on with MineLab and I just get a bad vib every time I read a new fail story. Moving off of the Malasia company and heading back to the good old USA.

Whites BeachHunter 300 DF... you're up. Not all dealers are certified Whites distributors. K'co is hiding the price right now and I don't know why. I'm familiar with Whites construction and love their shaft locks plus the service warranty is first rate. Since there are few perks offered with the DF at K'co and the price you have to ask for there must be a back order problem right now or maybe something worse going on. Is it a hot ticket or a recall, i've been out of the loop all winter.

So who's purchased a DF lately?

At least you'll save some $$$$ :lol:

I've never seen a sale price for any Whites machines... I think they require the actual sale price to be hidden/not published online.

I've never seen a sale price for any Whites machines... I think they require the actual sale price to be hidden/not published online.

I like that answer :yes:

Well which one of these would you toss in lake this year? I know there is a world of difference :roll: one of them is in classified's right now with a straight shaft for 600 bucks but no way I'm going to buy a second hand water detector, not even from my mother. I think you dig everything with a PI and that might really suck in the high traffic Chicago beaches so how about that BH 300?

http://whiteselectronics.com/surf-pi-dual-field.html

I think DEW just sold me on the BH-300 VLF, the PI would just slow me down plus I don't know how much iron is on Chicago beaches. I can always go back and get a PI later if I have to go deep and there is little iron to deal with.

CZ 21 seems to be the second most popular beach hunting vlf, after the excal. I looked into the BH ID 300, but heard from a few people that it cant handle the hot ground I have in Southern Ca.

I would definitely look into the CZ21.

Seven of Nine - I'm sorry that you have abandoned the Excal II. I've had mine since last summer and it has been fully submerged many times and with the straight shaft and knob guard, I have had no problems, just had gold!:D

Seven of Nine - I'm sorry that you have abandoned the Excal II. I've had mine since last summer and it has been fully submerged many times and with the straight shaft and knob guard, I have had no problems, just had gold!:D

Well at least I found out where you guys get your scoops :lol: http://gold-scoop.com/index.html so many variables, big holes, small holes, wood handle, angled handle, travel handle... 3 year warranty!!! I just saw that ad rotate through. SWEET!

Yea I'm disapointed too.. but even if the percentage of returns is 25% I won't roll those odds on a MineLab Excall II for the price with that warranty. They are playing us for fools right now and the dealers are picking up the tab for the last year of service calls. Bad business, but I'm sure if they want to remain top choice they will get it together soon. Then they can have my business.

I just had an experience on a nearby South African beach where the local woman who detects there using an Excal II complained to me of radio silence - no targets at all in the wet sand. The beach did look kind of sanded in....

I fired up the Dual Field anyway and began finding targets almost immediately, coins, junk jewelry. So many targets, that the woman came back to try again and still couldn't find a target! I went over areas she had just been with her Excal and I was digging targets she had not even heard, and my gain was just a touch higher than the preset.

Maybe her batteries were low or something. But after seeing how her Excal II performed compared to mine, I am happy I bought the Dual Field.

One thing that drove me nuts though was the interference I was picking up in the headphones from her machine whenever she was closer than 25' or so to me. I wondered how my PI sounded in her headphones... Hopefully just as annoying ;)

Back
Top Bottom