Cleaning this wheatie

Spartan84

Explorer
Forum Supporter
Wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning this wheatie, I would normally just throw it in with the rest, but not knowing the date just bugs me.:lol:

UPDATE: show where date and lincoln is.

Attachments

• IMAG0202.jpg
    IMAG0202.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 575
  • IMAG0201.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Wow! That one had a hard life. Since there are very few wheats with a high monetary value, I normally clean my cruddy ones by soaking them in water and dish soap for a few days and then use a brass brush to clean enough to give me a date. I am trying to complete a "dug" wheat collection. Not much value in my collection but I dug each and every one of them. So, it means something to me. I am thinking of putting a dug dime and nickel collection too. Good luck with that wheat. Hope you get a date. HH

I let them soak in olive oil and then use a paper towel to clean as much as possible.

I got a 1909 wheat this weekend, i am letting it soak, hopefully its a vdb. I don't see the S mint mark. so its likely not worth much, but very cool to find one..

its hard to see from the pictures, but I can make out the shape of lincoln.

I got 50's wheatie from a school that was almost that bad last month. The olive oil will soak in and loosen the crud up with causing and physical scratching or damage. I used an old soft bristle baby brush. Seemed to do just fine.

I've never used this for copper pennies, but boiling 2 cups of vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 2 tablespoons of baking soda with copper in it will clean it fairly decently. Using a soft bristle toothbrush it will clean a lot off. Then I've used Wrights Copper cream to really clean it up after rinsing with distilled water.

Now like I said, I never had to do this to a copper penny, but I have used this many times in the past with copper feet for my antique clocks.

Boiling peroxide I've heard works too, but I've never personally tried it. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a shot.

This might sound silly but it's worked for me on bad copper coins. Take a pencil eraser and rub the date over and over, you should pull some detail that might get you the date.

For collector value, you don't want it to look fresh from the mint as far as I understand. That chemical bath will probably shine it up real nice.

personally i'd toss it in a boiling peroxide bath, you'd have to soak that in olive oil for about 50 years and then only wind up with an oily coin. after a few peroxide bath's i'd then soak it in some barkeepers friend.....but thats just me

I know what you mean by having a coin and not being able to read a date from it! It drives me nuts too.

Hot peroxide is great on coppers. Get a shot glass put in halfway of peroxide. Nuke it for 30 seconds and let the coin soak for 15 minutes. If that don't work I dont know what will. It could also be too far deteriorated to be saved...

I know what you mean by having a coin and not being able to read a date from it! It drives me nuts too.
:yes: me too...sometimes on wheats and IHs I just clean the front enough to get a date....I don't even bother with the back....then throw it in a bag. Coin cleaning doesn't interest me.

personally i'd toss it in a boiling peroxide bath, you'd have to soak that in olive oil for about 50 years and then only wind up with an oily coin. after a few peroxide bath's i'd then soak it in some barkeepers friend.....but thats just me

I just tried your recomendation on a wheat penny I found this summer. Even added it to one of my old coins in my signature. Now I can read the date: 1916. Worked very well.

Well the olive oil didnt do anything except make an oily penny:lol: had it there for almost a week. Ive used the hot peroxide before, but sometimes if the coin is too far off the peroxide will just make it worse. Thanks for your help fellas

:D:D:D Finally a question I can answer. Peroxide (hydroxine peroxide) can be found everywhere (ie Walmart, drug stores, etc). It's usually kept by bandages and comes in a brown bottle.

Back
Top Bottom