Tarnished gold

goofy

Elite Member
Recently ,My wife found a gold-ish ring that was lightly tarnished.It is stamped 10k but it appear that the band has been broken and repaired.At first I thought that this ring was a cheap one but I am havign second thoughts.I actually screatched the surface and the gold color really comes out.I polished it and it actually appears real now.
I have read several posts about people finding gold that was tarnished.How often does this happen? I am wondering if the ring is fake and the repair was 10k.I do not have a pic but I weighed this ring with one similar and the weight appears to be good for 10k.
Any ideas out there?I do not have a gold tester.
I believe it may be gold filled but I am not sure.I think I can see a GF on the band but it has been mangled some with the repair so I am not sure.

Tarnished "gold" is very likely a sign of a gold plated object. For some reason, the base metal corrosion still gets through. I found a ring the other day that I thought was complete junk. It looked like an old style, so I figured there was no harm in using some very fine sandpaper to clean it up. Under the completely brown surface was gold! then, a little more sanding in a spot showed copper. No markings.

Recently ,My wife found a gold-ish ring that was lightly tarnished.It is stamped 10k but it appear that the band has been broken and repaired.At first I thought that this ring was a cheap one but I am havign second thoughts.I actually screatched the surface and the gold color really comes out.I polished it and it actually appears real now.
I have read several posts about people finding gold that was tarnished.How often does this happen? I am wondering if the ring is fake and the repair was 10k.I do not have a pic but I weighed this ring with one similar and the weight appears to be good for 10k.
Any ideas out there?I do not have a gold tester.
I believe it may be gold filled but I am not sure.I think I can see a GF on the band but it has been mangled some with the repair so I am not sure.

10k gold does discolor from the other metals mixed with it... I have found several bleeding green and even a couple that look brown or a shiny black but they are gold.

Over the years I have found a few gold items that looked unlike gold. After cleaning they came out bright. Maybe get it tested, steve in so az

I agree have it tested. I recently found a gold ring marked 10K that even I thought was plated, but it passed the 10K test with flying colors

Back
Top Bottom