Cache help

joshua

I have a confirmed cache site. My dad buried 3 mason jars over 40 years ago filled with silver coins. He said he can get me within 100 square feet. He buried the coins the day he left for the navy the only problem is he buried them 5 feet. I think I'm going to have to use a deep seeking machine unless my ace 250 will detect a group of coins that deep. What do you guys suggest

all is not lost!

PROBE! he had to dig a good size hole. we locate filled in wells with a yard long spring steel rod probe. we go along poking the ground and dug out or filled in dirt will most time let the probe go down in the dirt. it takes a little umph pushing but see directions below. we can probe the whole outline of the well or privy, and then dig away.

to make a probe, find an old style car with a trunk lid that does not have a shock absorber--old 60-70 models--there are two spring steel rods that cross under the trunk lid, right under the part closest to back glass. using a couple strong folks take the trunk lid off and get the rods. be carefull. heavy lids. rods are real flexible spring steel. take a one inch pipe about a foot long--steel, drill a hole in one side in the middle. insert the rod, weld it. you now have a tee-handle. grind the other end of rod to a rounded point. you now have a flexible probe you can bear down on and at an angle and try to push it in the dirt. go along and push it in until you find the disturbed dirt.

roll up the sleeves and get the shovel. we recently dug out 3 shallow wells this way--located with the probe and a nice cache of bottles. my bottle digger friends are never without one, and the MD"ers use them too for trash piles, privys etc to locate, dig out and detect the throwout dirt.

good luck hh carey

Last edited:
That's what I thought use a probe. I still have a probe from when I was going to be a great privy digger so ill try that wish me luck

5 feet is a very big hole.

Have a look at old airphoto's from your area - the ground will be disturbed, and that can be seen from the air.

Pay attention to places, where the grass has a different color. - if you have more than one picture to look at, then one taken around july could reveil a clue as to where you should go. - This is how we locate bronce age buildings in europe!

The best detector for the job would probably be a PI type since they will go deep for big objects.

GL

/Steffen

Give your dad the shovel to dig..after one 5 foot hole it might motivate him to think a lot harder to avoid another 10 holes to find them

I think your father is suffering from delusions. How did he dig these holes? With a shovel? No way he dug 5 feet deep for this. How did he put them in, drop and let them break? Tied with a string and lowered? Seems much more likely that these were buried 2-3 feet deep.

Buy a used 2 box. Sell it after you find the cache. What state are you in maybe someone could help out just for fun?

5 ft is pretty deep even in sand. A popular way was to use a post hole digger and then drop in the coins. A human digging a hole by hand would be a days work and would be a huge hole for just a few jars. How big of jars you talking? I could see someone doing it before they go in the service. That piece of the puzzle sounds legit. Jars at 5 ft seems iffy.

Use the probes and some twine with a bunch of golf tees and just start probing a grid. That way you don't go over the same spot. You are going to have to probe approx every 3 inches square which is a huge pain in the ass.

I would also get on the forum or Craigslist and see if anyone would come use a PI or a 2 box unit. If they find it for you hook them up with some silver to be a nice guy(no key dates of coarse).

Grill your old man to get you the closest possible. Put the shovel in his hand if he used one to dig. Maybe he will flashback in a good way. Lol

Good luck and let us know by posting the pic of the empty jar. I wanna see it.

Why didn't he dig them up when he got home?

You can rent ground radar penetrating equipment for about $150 a day. I did this once and the guy at the rental company spent enough time with me teaching me how to use it, although sometimes they may charge to do so.

Back
Top Bottom