Can someone make me a pinpointer?

Kerry

My husband has looked for the unit that is required to make the pinpointer described in another post, and cannot find one. He suggested I see what it would cost to have one of you guys (who know what you are doing) to make one for me. Any ballpark figure what this would cost?

Now that was funny!!! Kerry, I've been thinking of making one myself ... I'll let you know how it turns out and how easy or hard it was if I do.

Please do, FX. I don't want to hunt anymore until I get a pinpointer.

I have heard of guys using a stud finder as a pinpointer with positive results. I know they can be picked up in yard sales, etc for not much. Dont know what they are new. Steve in so az

Make me a pinpointer

I bought two GPD-902 units and I have made two pinpointers and i have to tell you I am not very pleased with the results. The first one I made I made it like this http://www.tomstreasures.com/probe.html
And it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The best range I can get with it is around 3/4 of an inch.

I made another one with the same unit only I used a plastic electric box, cut a hole in the side for the light and switch, added a switch and a vibrator unit out of a playstation controller (you can have it beep or vibrate), used the end of the box and glued the PVC pipe into the box and used a cover with a watertight seal. This one works a little better. I think you loose some range because of the end cap on the PVC pipe, but I am not experienced enough to figure out a better way to do it. My advice is spend the $$ and buy a good one. That is what I have done.

I bought two GPD-902 units and I have made two pinpointers and i have to tell you I am not very pleased with the results. The first one I made I made it like this http://www.tomstreasures.com/probe.html
And it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The best range I can get with it is around 3/4 of an inch.

I made another one with the same unit only I used a plastic electric box, cut a hole in the side for the light and switch, added a switch and a vibrator unit out of a playstation controller (you can have it beep or vibrate), used the end of the box and glued the PVC pipe into the box and used a cover with a watertight seal. This one works a little better. I think you loose some range because of the end cap on the PVC pipe, but I am not experienced enough to figure out a better way to do it. My advice is spend the $$ and buy a good one. That is what I have done.

Hi, what size object is it locating at 3/4 of an inch?

But its the GBD 902 we can't find!

Hi Kerry, ANY cable locater will do the job. Just so long that it has a ferrite rod inside. Take a look my before and after photos of mine. In the the first one the rod is located at the bottom. You simple remove the rod ( with wires still atached ) cut the bottom housing off and relocate to the side.I used a plastic end off a corkscrew.But any sealed end tube will do, make sure its a good close fit to the rod though. Its that simple. have been useing mine for a few months now with no problems. its a far simpler one to make and requires no re-soldering. It has proven to be very
handy. That silver coin in my avitor measures about 14mm across and is wafer thin ( well it is over 700 years old ) had no problem locating it in the side of a hole.

Chop

Attachments

• picture069.jpg
    picture069.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 638
  • picture00013.jpg
    picture00013.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 627
Ebay has a workable substitute

I gave up trying to find that model at Lowe's- and didn't want to spend $25 including shipping- so I bought a different one on Ebay. [4.99 +$7.25 shipping]

It works so well out of the box- the only mods I *might* make would be to make it waterproof-- and maybe put a trigger on it so when I put it down it turns off.

Here's the one I bought-
3in1 AUTO CALIB VOLTAGE,METAL,STUD DETECTOR ALL-IN-ONE
Item number: 180137213102

It only seems to see though an inch or less of dirt [which is exactly what I want] - but it has picked up a piece of rusty wire about 1/4" long in a hole. It beeps and lights up when it goes over metal.

My eyes aren't real good, so when it picked up the head of a nail sticking out of the side of a hole 4 inches above the bottom . . . I went back to ebay and ordered 3 more. The combined shipping on 3 was $11 something.

One will go in my tool box cause it really does find studs--- and I'll probably mod #2- and keep the 3rd for a spare.

The item number I showed ends in 6 days but he has 2 others listed that end sooner. [I hadn't bought from that seller before- and I don't like his checkout system- but it seems to be efficient, and he shipped the last one pretty quickly.]

Jim

Got to be better than being ripped off buying a merlin/sherlock etc etc.

Pity its not really suitable for breaking up soil in the hole sides.

But a good cheap alternative Chop

Back
Top Bottom