Cleaning crusty silver (beach sand compressed on coin)

gumbo

I have a few coins that have collected some crusty sand on the outside, such that warm water will not take it off, and a soft toothbrush does not help either.
I don't want to ruin the coins, but I do want to be able to see the details underneath this sand layer. What's the best way to get it off?
These are not key date coins. I just want to look at them in a binder for my own enjoyment.

Thanks!

Wait until it dries and then tap the edge with a small hammer... most cookie coins are so far gone there won't be much left but a thin wafer.

I would say electrolysis. That would make the coin shed the outer layer. Go very slow

I use watered down muriatic acid, widely available here as the water is so darn hard everyone uses it to clean sinks and toilets... Just enough acid till it bubbles nicely.

I believe people use rock tumblers with aquarium gravel quite a lot. Harbor Freight sells one for a little less than $40. Look for coupons online to save a few bucks. A little water, some gravel and a few drops of dish liquid and let it run a couple of hours. Get the NON painted gravel, should look like granite but gravel. If you beach hunt you will not find many OLD American coins. You may find some old wreck coins though. Do not tumble them. :shock:

I tumble a lot of other things I find on the beach. Just be sure the item is not a "find" possibly worth some money. Check dates on coins first if you can see them. I tumble keys, coins, fish lures, some toys and what ever....you find something different every time. :yes: I do not tumble jewelery finds.

Last edited:
What type of coin ?

If its a silver coin you could do a quick acetone dip, there is a method to doing this though as to not harm the coin.

Mercs primarily. I've found quite a few this summer at the beach, but they are coated in a sulfur layer.
I'm intrigued by the acetone thing if it works. Electrolysis is out for me right now.
I always heard tumbling silver wasn't a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom