Discrimination question

critik

So a quick question for the squad.. Say if I want to find rings and coins and such, on a 10 dot discrimination knob(each dot being 10%) what would you have it on? Also same for just coinshooting. I usually keep it on 35-40%.

Is the first dot full CCW?

Probably best to grab some items and test yourself..mainly seeing where gold and a nickel drop off, other coins will be higher.

ccw=counter clockwise

just a guess but Id imagine you'll detect gold at 2- 2 1/2 dots, just get past iron and foil.

Can thumb the disc knob to save time and unwanted digging.

Junk rings you have a shot at most but I have found gold rings from just a hair above where condiment packages and those round freshness seals come in at foil up to the lower zinc area.
High karat gold can come in higher up to dimes or even quarters and above...small pieces like earring studs, small thin gold chains and even small silver chains, yea silver, can come in even lower down into iron.

I have found large gold rings that are alloyed with other metals to make white gold at the lower end too...right near those condiment packages.

$1 gold coins will come in below your disc setting in low foil also.

At your 35-40% you have the possibility of missing a lot including chains of all kinds.

ccw=counter clockwise

just a guess but Id imagine you'll detect gold at 2- 2 1/2 dots, just get past iron and foil.

Can thumb the disc knob to save time and unwanted digging.

Junk rings you have a shot at most but I have found gold rings from just a hair above where condiment packages and those round freshness seals come in at foil up to the lower zinc area.
High karat gold can come in higher up to dimes or even quarters and above...small pieces like earring studs, small thin gold chains and even small silver chains, yea silver, can come in even lower down into iron.

I have found large gold rings that are alloyed with other metals to make white gold at the lower end too...right near those condiment packages.

At your 35-40% you have the possibility of missing a lot including chains of all kinds.
But for coin shooting you think 35-40% is ideal ?

But for coin shooting you think 35-40% is ideal ?

Maybe, but in areas around iron even silver coins can come in really low depending on conditions and how your detector works.
Possibly you could miss a trime, half dimes, whatever.
A rare thing but could happen.

Logically if you set your disc below nickel in normal conditions you should be able to find most coins....but strange things can happen out there.

Thumbing the disc knob means moving the discrimination knob up/down when over a target to see when it doesn't register anymore. Basically trying to find out what kind of target it is before digging.

Most target ranges for coins, iron and such should be marked on your discrimination options. If you get a target and "thumb" up till the target disappears, you know what range that target falls into.

+1 ---*--- Absolutely correct. If you want to find gold you need to dig a lot of junk. There's no shortcut. Even setting to eliminate foil also rejects all the small thin gold such as $1 gold pieces. Set to just eliminate iron, you are still probably missing some deep small gold.

If you just want to hunt for modern coins, take a coin that is the least conductive target you wish to retrieve, put it on the ground and turn your discriminate knob up until that target is rejected, then turn it back down so that you just pick it up when you swing across it with your coil. Then you won't dig so much trash, and someone else can find the gold.

By thumbing the knob he means he's assuming your using a Tesoro,on Tesoro's the discrimination knob is turned to where you want to discriminate.
What machine are you using? That would help a lot on giving you useful tips

+1 ---*--- Absolutely correct. If you want to find gold you need to dig a lot of junk. There's no shortcut. Even setting to eliminate foil also rejects all the small thin gold such as $1 gold pieces. Set to just eliminate iron, you are still probably missing some deep small gold.

If you just want to hunt for modern coins, take a coin that is the least conductive target you wish to retrieve, put it on the ground and turn your discriminate knob up until that target is rejected, then turn it back down so that you just pick it up when you swing across it with your coil. Then you won't dig so much trash, and someone else can find the gold.
OK thank you. So if I take a modern nickel and set the disc just under where it detects, I should find most coins including liberty's,barbers, injuns etc... It seems like if it's a coin I can thumb it up real high before it starts to get skiddish. Atleast with quarters and pennys

By thumbing the knob he means he's assuming your using a Tesoro,on Tesoro's the discrimination knob is turned to where you want to discriminate.
What machine are you using? That would help a lot on giving you useful tips

A Fisher 1225x it's old but a beast and you can thumb it

Back
Top Bottom