how should I go about this permission?

Dflan83

Elite Member
Hello everyone
I am just curious how you guys would approach this permission or maybe in the past have had something like this come up.

I regularly hunt some old fairgrounds that are public property in town. Cops come by every now and then and ask me if I am finding anything, I show them my junk finds and tell them just cleaning up the fairgrounds then continue my hunts. These fairgrounds have 100 years worth of trash in them so its a bit like digging out a dump. Anyway there are 2 roads in town that run into the fairgrounds that have some old properties on them. I was looking at the GIS maps and noticed that 4 of the properties, those nearest to the fairgrounds are owned by the city fair association. Most of these properties are overgrown and 1 has a house with broken bottles, old tires and junk lying about along with overgrown weeds. I would love to get permission to hunt these sites but I am unsure how to approach it. I don't really think I should consider it free hunting grounds but what would you do?

Should I approach the fair association let them know I enjoy metal detecting and clean up the grounds quite a bit. Maybe offer to clean up these properties by picking up the trash and mowing a bit around them in return for being able to hunt them? In other words I don't want to mess up what I have now or risk a no

I am guessing it would be hard to get in touch with someone on the fair grounds association and I don't have specific permission to be on the fairgrounds in the first place but no one has ever said anything and it is public land.

sorry this is getting long. what would you do?

I would just hit it like you have been the fair grounds. The officers that have already seen you there are probably assigned to that area, so they would already be familiar with what you're doing.

If you really want to offer services like mowing, cleaning the trash out of the way before detecting....then approach the owners and offer clean up services. Then afterward detect away. It's not like they currently care for the property as evidenced by an overgrown and trashed property. You're not going to do any more damage than what has already been done by MDing there. So if you really want to clear it for MDing (which they don't need to know what your motivations are) then offer to help, and MD after as a bonus.

Last edited:
I agree with Mr. novice, that I'd just hit it.

You already hit the fairgrounds, and didn't jump through those "permission hoops" right ? And it's not an issue, right ? (ie.: no one cares). And it's the same entity that owns both sites, right ? And it's just derelict neglected property and landscape, right ? So if it were me, I'd just go.

I agree with Mr. novice, that I'd just hit it.

You already hit the fairgrounds, and didn't jump through those "permission hoops" right ? And it's not an issue, right ? (ie.: no one cares). And it's the same entity that owns both sites, right ? And it's just derelict neglected property and landscape, right ? So if it were me, I'd just go.

yep. Thanks I think I will hit it when there is less likely to be people around the area.

Back
Top Bottom