1700's button? *Eingetr Muster* backmark

matmit

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Last night I plucked this bad boy in the dark.
Couldn't believe it when I got it home and cleaned.
Found in an area with injuns, 1839 half dime, etc.
I apologize for the lack of detail on the reverse, maybe its foreign?
It is about the size of a quarter.

This has to be the most beautiful button I have ever found, hand-engraved:D

Help me determine exactly what it is, if you can...

Attachments

• 4-11-17 engraved button.jpg
    4-11-17 engraved button.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,243
  • 4-11-17 Engraved button rev.jpg
    4-11-17 Engraved button rev.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,095
  • 4-24-17 1700 button rev 1.jpg
    4-24-17 1700 button rev 1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 852
Last edited:
So cool. I see a guy reading a book, lower left. Woman digging a hole on the right, and an exploding weber grill.

I am hoping the backmark will help in finding an age???
Eingetr Muster tells me it is German origin.
Just over 1" in diameter.

Attachments

• 4-24-17 1700 button rev 1.jpg
    4-24-17 1700 button rev 1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 826
  • 4-24-17 Eingetr Muster buttons.jpg
    4-24-17 Eingetr Muster buttons.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 868
Last edited:
I saw on another forum that those words translate into something like registered pattern in German. I searched, but didn't find any the same as yours. But boy are those a nice find. I just love the pictures. Very cool.

eingetragene muster would be registered pattern so maybe eingetr is the abbreviation reg? This is such an amazingly beautiful button. I wonder if it's a story button....

I've continued to research, but just am not finding your buttons. I did find this web site with information about Button Societies in various states/countries. I wonder if it might be worth contacting them to see if they are familiar with the buttons? Just a thought....

http://nationalbuttonsociety.org/NBS_Websites.html

eingetragene muster would be registered pattern so maybe eingetr is the abbreviation reg? This is such an amazingly beautiful button. I wonder if it's a story button....
Vielleicht mein freund
I've continued to research, but just am not finding your buttons. I did find this web site with information about Button Societies in various states/countries. I wonder if it might be worth contacting them to see if they are familiar with the buttons? Just a thought....

http://nationalbuttonsociety.org/NBS_Websites.html

Thanks Sue, I will keep digging into this

VERY interesting button - love it! The button size and the style of engraving make it tempting to think of as a late 1700's early 1800's piece, but I think the shank says otherwise, as does the backmark. If I had to guess I'd say 1860-1910.

Let me just say that I know nothing about buttons...
To me they have a Asian flair and I'm thinking that they may be one off personally engraved.

Very cool buttons.

Back
Top Bottom