Need suggestions for under water detector

goldpaninut

This is the summer I'm going to get in the water and detect my favorite mountain lake. Its seen activity since 1922 and I'm sure there is lots of silver & rings within 50 feet of shore. I've detected the shores and campgrounds here a lot and found some very valuable coins over the years. I have a Whites Dual Field PI detector, but I hesitate using it at this lake due to the amount of bottle caps that have been thrown and skipped into it waters over the years. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good discriminating under water detector that could discriminate out the bottle caps yet retain those gold ring and small jewelry signals? Love my dual field but it doesn't discriminate.

If you're not going in salt with it, AT pro. A PI in a lake would be horrible.

There's also the tesoro tigershark. I've heard those are good in freshwater, but cannot speak from experience. I'm an excal guy but I think that's overkill for a lake if you already own a PI.

I think you'll get way more/better replies if you post this in beach/water hunting section although if you do a search, it's been covered many times.

This is the summer I'm going to get in the water and detect my favorite mountain lake. Its seen activity since 1922 and I'm sure there is lots of silver & rings within 50 feet of shore. I've detected the shores and campgrounds here a lot and found some very valuable coins over the years. I have a Whites Dual Field PI detector, but I hesitate using it at this lake due to the amount of bottle caps that have been thrown and skipped into it waters over the years. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good discriminating under water detector that could discriminate out the bottle caps yet retain those gold ring and small jewelry signals? Love my dual field but it doesn't discriminate, and the lake is fresh water.

What does 50ft offshore equate to in depth? Not sure I would trust an ATP if it's pretty deep.

In fresh water the Tesoro Tiger Shark is awesome. I speak from experience I have owned two Tigers and would never ever be without one. They will detect gold so small it is amazing. :yes:

I love my Fisher CZ-21's and my Tiger Shark.

HOWEVER, with that being said I dig bottle tops. It is so easy to dig in the sand and iron masks silver and gold. I on hundreds of times have dug iron only to find a gold ring or silver coin or ring that others have missed. I move cans and any metal. I dive

Are you going to be diving?

Its tough to disc out those bottlecaps...actually not a good idea for a water hunter anyway...I hit a big 12gr 18k/Plat Artcarved one year that sounded just like a bottlecap....

Fresh Water Wading, the AtPro has about the best reputation and capability for the money...then the scoop at @$150 lets say...So you are into it with the basics for lets say $750...Then waders or a wetsuit if you need them....so lets say close to $1000 all in...

That means you really gotta be committed and work the right locations to pay the gear off ASAP, that means gold/plat/chains...Good thing is the scoop and Pro hold a decent resale value in case You dont enjoy water hunting....

If you are going deeper than wading, thats a whole nother ballgame there...Huge barrier of Entry from a financial/fitness angle.....easy $4k just for starters...(Dee could chime in here for accuracy on the estimate)...

Not a bad idea though, if a guy is so inclined...probably the Final Frontier of Detectordom will be diving to hunt for old swim rafts sites, jump off cliffs, etc.....Thats some super strenuous work though, to go subsurface and geezle around in zero vis...let alone all the gear weighs a ton....

The AtPro hits fresh water gold like a frigging TRAIN! Right out of the box with the stock 8x11 Even.....It can see chains too, so theres that to consider.....My best find so far was a 2 1/2oz 999 gold chain that sounded like a pair of pulltabs....AtPro...Stock 8x11 coil...just wading along one fine morning....

Attachments

• sept 8 13-2.jpg
    sept 8 13-2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Its tough to disc out those bottlecaps...actually not a good idea for a water hunter anyway...I hit a big 12gr 18k/Plat Artcarved one year that sounded just like a bottlecap....

Fresh Water Wading, the AtPro has about the best reputation and capability for the money...then the scoop at @$150 lets say...So you are into it with the basics for lets say $750...Then waders or a wetsuit if you need them....so lets say close to $1000 all in...

That means you really gotta be committed and work the right locations to pay the gear off ASAP, that means gold/plat/chains...Good thing is the scoop and Pro hold a decent resale value in case You dont enjoy water hunting....

If you are going deeper than wading, thats a whole nother ballgame there...Huge barrier of Entry from a financial/fitness angle.....easy $4k just for starters...(Dee could chime in here for accuracy on the estimate)...

Not a bad idea though, if a guy is so inclined...probably the Final Frontier of Detectordom will be diving to hunt for old swim rafts sites, jump off cliffs, etc.....Thats some super strenuous work though, to go subsurface and geezle around in zero vis...let alone all the gear weighs a ton....

The AtPro hits fresh water gold like a frigging TRAIN! Right out of the box with the stock 8x11 Even.....It can see chains too, so theres that to consider.....My best find so far was a 2 1/2oz 999 gold chain that sounded like a pair of pulltabs....AtPro...Stock 8x11 coil...just wading along one fine morning....

Dang Mud, I'll bet you did a little happy dance when that popped up:laughing: BTW, what's a pair of pulltabs sound like?

Minelab Excalibur II all the way. it will null out bottle caps most of the time and when it doesn't the sound is rough and you will know its a bottle cap. It doesn't have a screen so it's all sound but when you hear something with the Excalibur you want to dig it. in the water you don't want to spend the time looking at the screen plus sometimes it's under the water. I pulled over 40 rings out of 3 beaches in my are last summer.

Yeah, that's one fine chain Mud found. You want to see him cry? Ask him what happened to it! Sorry, Mud. It may be a teaching moment for all of us.

I tell ya...Gold is a Cruel Mistress! Especially chains...they dont sound AT ALL like even a small ring...but they are where the money is at! They generally have some heft that can make a guys entire year...but a guy has to go after those stupid trash signals to find them...After watching a lot of posts..the really BIG gold rings and chains are all bastard signals...it stands to reason..our gear is designed to hit 'coin' sized objects...

Monster High K rings and chains are so variable in size and composition... its just impossible for a detector mfg to design a rig to find them, so a fellow has to compensate and understand what we are up against...they are always a shiddy signal and a complete surprise...

No doubt a lot of dirt gold chains have seen a coil overhead a time or two...Rings are super frustrating!..even a decent 6gr 14k is right smack in Pulltab tone! All a guy needs to stay addicted is one great big mutherhubbard chain every once in a while..and they all sound like trash...:laughing:.

Attachments

• may 5 chain.jpg
    may 5 chain.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 184
  • gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 186
  • me oct.jpg
    me oct.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 203
  • sept 1314-1.jpg
    sept 1314-1.jpg