strange looking rock

stingray

Elite Member
i traded my rock tumbler for this rock. i dont know what its name but the owner told me that it came from a mine.
anyone might know what is this rock for and a bit of info, im all ears. thank you

c1f36513e056a91fb75fc84bd746001d.jpg

i am from southern IA. what is this rock for aside from good paper weight? lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would rather have a tumbler than a paper weight..

But it's cool.. Like mentioned, a cut and polished geode..

<°)))>{

thank u for the input guys. one knowledge at a time. i guess i did have a fair deal of the trade (rock tumbler to geode)

Geodes are relatively common in some areas, and can be bought online for cheap. Sometimes, what's inside can be very valuable. Been a very long time, but do remember something about some very rare types, which could be worth a great deal to collectors, schools, museums. My grandfather was into rocks, but the lived out of state, when I was growing up, only saw him for a few weeks, every 3-4 years. Still keep a boxful of stuff I got from when he died. They travel all over the country, so he could collect interesting rocks.

Think if you like it, it's a good trade. Rock tumbler could be used on modern clad, but not really needed. I clean mine up, best I can, and spend it in vending machines at work. I don't care if it's discolored, just want to get the dirt off. Never thought I needed a tumbler, no natural stone here in Florida, that I'm aware of.

I would rather have a tumbler than a paper weight..

But it's cool.. Like mentioned, a cut and polished geode..

<°)))>{

I bought a thumblers tumbler last year to clean my clad coins,
I've thought about polishing some rocks.......
I'm a little bit of a "rock hound " too :lol:

It is a cut and polished Brazilian agate, appears to be natural color. Many imported are dyed various strange colors, such as blue, green, red, pink, orange, purple, etc.

If you are happy, then it was a good trade. It is not a geode, because by definition a geode is hollow and contains a coating of crystals, commonly quartz. These agates formed from silica..agate..deposited in gas cavities in lava flows.

You can orient your specimen as it formed in the ground, because the horizontal deposits are always on the bottom of the stone, where the silica pooled up as it filled in. The small crystal pocket then at the top of the stone was formed last in the sequence, as the fluids were slowly cut off by the deposition process.

thanks for ur input KingTotsalot...yeah i was curious at the time i first saw these kinds, my buddy whom i traded has a lot of cut rocks like this. i was not using my tumbler that time since i lay low in detecting so I traded it to him, now that im slowly getting back in the hobby i guess i need another Harbour Freight tumber! lol

It is a cut and polished Brazilian agate, appears to be natural color. Many imported are dyed various strange colors, such as blue, green, red, pink, orange, purple, etc.

If you are happy, then it was a good trade. It is not a geode, because by definition a geode is hollow and contains a coating of crystals, commonly quartz. These agates formed from silica..agate..deposited in gas cavities in lava flows.

You can orient your specimen as it formed in the ground, because the horizontal deposits are always on the bottom of the stone, where the silica pooled up as it filled in. The small crystal pocket then at the top of the stone was formed last in the sequence, as the fluids were slowly cut off by the deposition process.

Boy! You sure know a lot about rocks! Or at least spouted off like a Pro! And here I thought you were just a damned old CRH your Majesty!!:laughing::laughing:
Mud

Back
Top Bottom