Ever tried rust converter ?

I've never seen it done. Would like to though

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That is an interesting idea. I have used rust converters for work on automotive frames etc.. I guess it would work as long as you clean it up really good before doing the wax treatment. It also depends on what type of product you use.

Good luck

I actually was going to try it for the first time and seen if any one else has done it yet

yep, i've used a brand called Evap-o-rust and it seems to work quite well. soak the item overnight and the rust will flake right off. and, you can also re-use the liquid several times. :yes:
non toxic, washable with water, won't harm your skin, won't damage your pipes if you rinse things off in your sink.

I used to use Skyco Ospho Surface Prep. It was originally made for marine applications. It does a good job converting the rust but if used make sure that a) you wear gloves and googles (it can burn skin or leave rashes, and it will burn the eyes, I had a drop or two hit my eyes from the mist and it burnt bad, took 20 minutes of flushing....) b) use in a well ventilated area and c) you rinse very well afterwards. It can be either sprayed on or brushed on. Price point was $30 + when I last bought it in 2015 (it was available at Home Depot, but ordered mine through Amazon for cheaper and free shipping. There are different variations of this, I used the green lettered one. I liked it for what I used to use it for and I have tried a lot of different products.

I use this for vehicle frames and various metal parts and after cleaning and paint it lasts for a very long time. It can be used on clean metal (which 90% of the frames are) as a metal prep/protect.

Draw backs: a) can be expensive depending upon where bought
b) fumes can be bad
c) length of time before done, takes at least 12 hours (that was
my average time) before drying I believe it calls for 12 to 24
d) exposure to skin/eyes etc.. can cause burning etc...

This is not a product advertisement or endorsement :laughing::laughing: just my experience. My wife uses Rustbuster and Evapo rust remover in her little projects and they do a good job too, plus less expensive and enviroment friendly.

Just wanted to throw my two cents in. I think the Skyco Ospho Surface Prep
would be good if you have large objects or a lot of them to do. The others I mentioned that my wife uses are good for smaller objects but if you need a lot they will cost more in the long run.

HH

Back
Top Bottom