Finally, a coin spill

PAdiggerTom

Out trying a spot out of town where we are working. Noticed a large stone wall and mauled on if we should try it or not for weeks. Finally we said screw it. Walked ontop of the small hill near the road and got what I thought was a Soda can becasus there was trash laying about. I said screw it, let's pull a plug and see what kind of soda it is. Pulled the plug and wasn't in the plug, got another shovel full of dirt out and noticed something red and groved. Though it was a piece of brass. Picked it up and it was a small thing of leather with a rivet on it. I'm thinking that was my signal. Stood up and gave it another swing and still a loud tone. Poked around the dirt to see if I could see a sofa can but noticed some roundness. Picked it up and seen it was a wheat penny. Now I'm thinking that was it, that was my signal. But i always swing over it untill I don't get a tone, sure enough another tone. I strated to put it all together then. A piece of leather with a rivet and wheat cent and another signal in the hole, I knew I had a spill and that's the coin purse. So I walk over to my uncle who's digging with me and tell him " hey I think I have a coin spill, I don't know if you want to come witness this", he said BS!!..I showed him what I found. He was interested and said I'll come record it. Got back to the hole and he didn't have his phone with him and I said screw it, let's just see what's in here. Used the pin pointer and found another wheat, then another. Great just a wheat spill, but keep diggin and bam, a sheen of silver. Thinking it's a merc, started to clean it off and seen 1911, wow my first barber dime. Let's keep going, a few more wheats and another sheen of silver, a 1917 merc, keep diggin and now a bigger coin showed. Hoping it was a barber due to the barber dime, sure enough a barber quater, my first. Now I've dug plenty of old coppers including a 1794 chain cent and 1698 half Penney, reales and seated silvers but never barbers. Funny how that works.
Hope you enjoy. I will post more pictures once I get back home. Hotel internet sucks and only managed to upload one pic. Try the others and the page crahses.

Attachments

• IMG_5601.jpg
    IMG_5601.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_5609.jpg
    IMG_5609.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_5611.jpg
    IMG_5611.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Wow! Nice silver spill. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have yet to ever find a seated! I don't think that's funny how that works! Not funny at all! Good hunt!

Out trying a spot out of town where we are working. Noticed a large stone wall and mauled on if we should try it or not for weeks. Finally we said screw it. Walked ontop of the small hill near the road and got what I thought was a Sosa can becasus there was trash laying about. I said crew it, let's pull a plug and see what kind of soda it is. Pulled the plug and wasn't in the plug, got another shovel full of dirt out and noticed something red and groved. Though it was a piece of brass. Picked it up and it was a small thing of leather with a rivet on it. I'm thinking that was my signal. Stood up and gave it another swing and still a loud tone. Poked around the dirt to see if I could see a sofa can but noticed some roundness. Picked it up and seen it was a wheat penny. Now I'm thinking that was it, that was my signal. But i always swing over it untill I don't get a tone, sure enough another tone. I stated to put it all together then. A piece of leather with a rivet and wheat cent and another signal in the hole, I knew I had a spill and that's the coin purse. So I walk over to my uncle who's digging with me and tell him " hey I think I have a coin spill, I don't know if you want to come witness this", he said BS!!..I showed him what I found. He was interested and said I'll come record it. Got back to the hole and he didn't have his phone with him and I said screw it, let's just see what's in here. Used the pin pointer and found another wheat, then another. Great just a wheat spill, but keep diggin and bam, a sheen of silver. Thinking it's a merc, started to clean it off and seen 1911, wow my first barber dime. Let's keep going, a few more wheats and another sheen of silver, a 1917 merc, keep diggin and now a bigger coin showed. Hoping it was a barber due to the barber dime, sure enough a barber waiter, my first. Now I've dug plenty of old coppers including a 1794 chain cent and 1698 half Penney, reales and seated silvers but never barbers. Funny how that works.
Hope you enjoy. I will post more pictures once I get back home. Hotel internet sucks and only managed to upload one pic. Try the others and the page crahses.

serveimage

sweet Spill and that would be a 1793 chain cent and would love ❤️ To see a pic of that elusive coin

sweet Spill and that would be a 1793 chain cent and would love ❤️ To see a pic of that elusive coin

I'll see if I can't find a picture of it. You might be able to go to my profile and see it there since I posted it on here awhile ago. I no longer have the coin since I had to sell it.

Outstanding old purse drop! Great write up about it too! A guy has to think theres more of those multidenom tight spills out there that sound just like Junk!

Congratulations there! You know a $20 gold piece has gotten passed over on account of there was an Indian penny right on top, with a Silver dollar right next to it!! Us massive clad slammers get to know all about multidenom tight spillls ...all it takes is one nickel or zinc penny to really mess up a traditional coin signal...:laughing:
A guy can take a handful of multidenom clad and replicate a purse drop or old tight spill to see what the deal is! Really nice find there Tom!

Sweet find!!!!
That's an awesome spill. Some poor lady had to have been pretty bummed about losing that purse ........
Looking forward to seeing the cleaned up pictures......The quarter looks to be in good shape......
congrats.......

Here's the silver all cleaned up. Still working on the wheaties.

Attachments

• IMG_5609.jpg
    IMG_5609.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_5611.jpg
    IMG_5611.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 420
Back
Top Bottom