• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First vacation ever

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I was a dairy farmer for 40 years so I never got to go anywhere. Farming is a 7 day/week 365 days/year job. Now that I am working at a factory I get Saturday's and Sunday's off plus I am taking the next 9 days off. My son is fascinated with Halloween and he said that the headquarters of Halloween City is in Egg Harbor Township New Jersey. Looks like we will be going to check it out. Is there any other things to do and see in N.J. I would of liked to take him to Hershey Park in Pennsylvania. Looks like it would be lots of fun.

Congrats on your vacation - you definitely earned it !!!!

Another hobby somewhat related to detecting is rockhounding, and fluorescent rocks that glow different colors under UV lamps is especially neat.

And one of the best sources for such rocks worldwide is in New Jersey !

Not only is there a tour of the mine, they have places you can dig your own fluorescent rocks to take home !

I would love to be able to visit there and dig some of those fluorescent rocks to add to my modest collection, but it is too far for me to travel right now.

Here is from their web site at the link below -

The Sterling Hill Mining Museum

An enduring geological mystery. A world-famous mineral deposit. And, it’s all right here in a New Jersey museum, just an hour’s drive from New York’s George Washington Bridge !

http://sterlinghillminingmuseum.org/

rainbowroom2.jpg fluorewall.jpg

I hope you have the best vacation possible. You deserve it. I remember you telling us of the hard times you were having with the farm. And farmers do not get the credit they deserve. I believe the government has hurt the industry more than anything. But you would know more about that than me.
I have no suggestions for you on your vacation, I just wish you the best one possible. Looking forward to pics if you can.

Congrats on a long overdue and well deserved vacation Ski! I've never been back east, but I'd bring a couple detectors and hit some old parks low and slow :D too!

My dad was a teacher so we got to go all over the U.S.A. in the 1970s
It was fun.

Been to D.C , Williamsburg Virginia. Saw the Liberty bell(Pennsylvania)
Indy 500
Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore. Niagra falls. Vermont. Illinois(alot).
Salt lake city . Bonneville salt flats ( likex the pics of jet cars)
Death valley(interesting place) La brea tar pits)
Been to Montauk New york. Ohio .Canada. Hawaii (Oahu,Kauai,Maui)
Wisconsin,Oregon,Washington,saw the space needle.
Have not been in the south though.
Have a fun vacation and many of them.
Boulder Colorado also.

Last edited:
i haven't been down that way in 17 years and as a former long haul driver, it wasn't really a "vacation" for me so i can't really recommend where or what to do. maybe google "things to see and do" for whatever area you'll be travelling to, that usually brings up some great options!
congrats on getting some much deserved time off! regardless of what you end up doing, the main thing is to enjoy yourselves! :D
i had a week off a month ago and was sick the entire time. :(

Pete

KT had relatives that ran a dairy farm in Saline Co., Arkansas. Many good memories of Uncle Whib and Aunt Sally ....visiting every Sunday for many years to get fresh milk for the week....the kind that would make a heavy cream plug on the top of the bottle that had to be dug out before you could get to the sweet milk (as my Dad called it) for your cereal in the morning. Dad always dug it out and it was the real cream in his coffee every morning!

Yep, those dairy cows are an unbelievable amount of work, needing to be milked morning and evening...KT is very happy for you and hopes you have a GREAT vacation!

Ski I think you left one item about dairy farming off the list. A typical day for a dairy farmer starts before sun rise and ends well after sun down. Then some danged cow needs your attention and there goes half the night. You get a little nap before you start all over again.

Have a Great Vacation. It has been earned many times over.

Back
Top Bottom