Platinum or white gold

Metalman47

Found this kids necklace tag. I tested it with a miser gold tester and it's either gold or platinum. Found it with a whites dfx with a small mini coil. Weight is 7.6 grams. Been boiling it because sticker is crusted on there. I still don't know if it is stainless steel, aluminum, silver, or gold. Registers 12 on vdi scale. Also, a magnet don't stick to it. When I did gold miser it jumped a cupple times to 14 karat on electronic gold tester. I seen on you tube that the mizar electric gold tester will hit on titanium though.

Attachments

• IMG_20180811_181619.jpg
    IMG_20180811_181619.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20180811_215414.jpg
    IMG_20180811_215414.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
No disrespect, but the odds of that being gold or platinum are about 100 to 1.
I hope it is though...

Have you tried a product called "Goof Off" to get rid of stickers and the sticky residue? Works great. Mine is in a spray bottle, probably from Home Depot.
Here's a link to their web site. https://goofoffproducts.com/

Mods: please remove if I just broke any rule with that link.

Jim

Silver color, elongated hole (suggesting a soft metal)

Not stainless, too heavy for aluminum...

Don't know what to say about it..

<°)))>{

No disrespect to the OP, but I think it's stainless steel also. Looks like an unetched dog tag to me that someone painted on. The hole in stainless dog tags will get elongated with time. I suggest getting an acid gold test kit and testing again.

No disrespect to the OP, but I think it's stainless steel also. Looks like an unetched dog tag to me that someone painted on. The hole in stainless dog tags will get elongated with time. I suggest getting an acid gold test kit and testing again.

Yeah..Right there with you on the dog tags getting that hole pattern wear evidence...Plus, nobody would ever laminate a sticker like that on Gold or Plat or even silver...gotta be Stainless steel...you can do a simple hardness test with the edge of a knife blade...sorta can tell the hardness of an item...WhiteGold and Plat and SS sure sound the same on the detector...all are Nonmagnetic....a silver or aluminum disc of that size would ping in higher like a half or a Q...so you can rule those two out...

You could do a simple Specific Gravity test to be sure...Google how to do it.....easy as pie and takes about no time...

thats why its such a bummer hunting for gold around docks etc..lots of SS washers down in there too..Hoping for the best for you, but on initial observations, thats nothing but a cheap SS bangle or zipper pull...as commonly found in most totters...

You gotta keep hitting those signals though, so good on ya there...Few years back, One solid 'another dockside SS washer' signal for me turned out to be an 18k White gold 12+grammer!...I was just as surprised as it was! :laughing:

Even nonmagnetic grade stainless is slightly magnetic..

You can hang the item from a string, then hold a strong magnet near, if it moves slightly it's stainless. But it looks more like aluminum to me, with the elongated hole.. Just seems heavy for aluminum..

<°)))>{

Even nonmagnetic grade stainless is slightly magnetic..

You can hang the item from a string, then hold a strong magnet near, if it moves slightly it's stainless. But it looks more like aluminum to me, with the elongated hole.. Just seems heavy for aluminum..

<°)))>{

Agreed...even silver will respond to a strong magnet...the OP didnt specify what kind of magnet he was running though?...so I assumed it was a generic low strength item of no value in this assessment...

I suggest the OP doing a simple and fast specific Gravity test to determine what this guy has found...its not gonna be Tungsten obviously....

Back
Top Bottom