Surf PI Pro

I have been hitting my regular beach spots and with the PI, I am digging deeper and finding everything and still learning the machine. I do get some what I call Ghosts where I'd dig and whatever was there is now nowhere to be found. I had the same problem with my other MD.

Other then junk, I found so far one token and a old button.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

You could have come across a ferrous target that was just a halo and you disturbed it breaking it up... I don't know where you live but do research on the beaches you hunt... you can start by googling vintage postcards for your area.. you can be surprised by the amount of old beaches that were in your area back in the day.

Thanks ! Post Cards is a great idea! I live on Long Island so there are beaches all over BUT I am sure many that are still a beach but got cut off from the rest of the beach via fence. I can still legally walk the waterline here.

I actually found my first coins today, a quarter and a crusty penny, so I'd say this pre owned MD took a beating to me PI is working ok.

A little bit of a learning curve with me and the surf pro PI.
One thing for sure is that you learn where to use it and a good second MD is a must. There is a depth to wet sand and if that is 2 feet down or more,The PI my not be the best MD to use.

I am digging in areas that one MD said was cleaned out and finding stuff.

If you're on Long Island there is probably a lot of metal detector traffic there.

It is good to hunt with a PI and get down to a deeper level.

Finally understanding that MD. I put 3 sets of batteries thru it. I do hear the to es make a different sound even though it sounds the same, I am starting to see a pattern develop on coins and bottle caps.

Still having a problem pinpointing with it.

Good luck and may your arms be strong as the might oak :laughing:

PI machines are dig everything machines, as others have explained already.

The increased depth and sensitivity helps on clean beaches but is time prohibitive on trashy beaches. The guys that say they can hear differences in tones have been using PI's for years and years and know their machines very well. You won't hear anything except threshold and beeps for the first 50 hours or so, then you will probably start picking out the threshold breaks and whispers (some youtube videos with audio on PI whispers).

I've been using the sea hunter for about a month and can tell the difference between some objects. Coins for instance are a softer tone with a slow draw in and out whereas other small bits of iron hit hard and fast on the in and out. Bobby pins and bits of wire tend to double beep but I dig them just in case it is a broken ring. That said I sometimes worry if this machine is a gold discriminating one and it is finicky to get quiet in the surf. In closing I still can not wait to get my hands on an excal 😂

Practice with it on coins before you go! Small fishing sinkers sound weak, large ones sound like a silver dollar! After you get used to it, you'll be able to tell when its a coin, nice clean short but strong signal. Don't dig weak signals unless you want to waste your day digging bobby pins, pencil ends, small sinkers, and foil. Start liking bottle caps.....LOL

I have been practicing with coins before I go but it all sounds the same to me even though I am starting to hear very suttle sound difference.

Today at a beach it was Bobby pin day. Two days ago I found someone's IPhone and gave it to the Parks department who called the people. That phone made a strange sound and that is why I put my scoop in the he ground.

I am getting a ton of bottle caps and I find that if I dig almost every sound I find more coins.

My Surf pi pro drove me crazy the other day. I kept on finding bottle caps and nothing else. I figured it was the area I was in until after two hours I grabbed another beach MD and hit the same spots and I started to find coins.
Both used in wet sand area. When I started to see in the disay of the non PI MD what was there I got back I to it again and out of the digging up another bottle cap.

My Surf pi pro drove me crazy the other day. I kept on finding bottle caps and nothing else. I figured it was the area I was in until after two hours I grabbed another beach MD and hit the same spots and I started to find coins.
Both used in wet sand area. When I started to see in the disay of the non PI MD what was there I got back I to it again and out of the digging up another bottle cap.

Display. Spell check on my phone!

One important things about learning a PI is where to use it... never use it on a beach you know is loaded with ferrous targets... this is why most PI hunters have other detectors such as the GT or Excalibur...

On the Florida Treasure coast when the beach is sanded in use the PI and get all the depth you can.

After a storm and a lot of erosion use a discriminating detector and hunt fast digging selective targets because if you look around you will have a lot of company.

We just had a storm come thru and when I got to the beach the tide was coming in and a nice cut on this beach. I adjusted the Surf Pro PI and hit the cut and Surf Pro PI was on fire!

The strange thing was that the coins I did find where all in the 1950's.

Can't wait to get back there right after low tide!

I went back there today and cleaned out the place ! I had my Surf Pro PI over the cut slowly and dug every hit. Some junk but again more coins from the 1950's and not earlier then that even though the beach had people on it since early 1900.

My gut feeling is that there is a lot more deeper that my Surf Pro PI is not picking up, so how crazy would it be to either dig a 2 foot test hole and put the PI down it or just wait and hope the sand does not fill the beach back up.

Any tips or hints or am I just crazy ?

Thank You !

It all depends... you can hit on iron 5 feet down if its big enough... you should be concentrating on listening for whisper targets.. I scrub my coil against the bottom no reason to keep it higher... I have dug gold rings close to 20 inches in the past with my pulse machines.. its a lot digging out in the water and that hole is filling in with each scoop you take... one of my oldest finds with my pulse was a 1892 wedding band that I know my Excal even with the skullies would never have heard.. A PI has its place.. I just don't hunt clean area's anymore and I rather not dig a ton of iron.. I hunt places that are no longer swim beaches but they were back in the day...

My suggestion is to clean an area out of surface targets and then go back over it listening for slight breaks in the threshold and see what you bring up...

I have a surf pi and a construction company was putting in a new peir at the beach when it was completed they paid me to scan the ground for scrapes of iron , I found a lot of iron deepest was this pipe 5 feet down , the construction crew did all the digging

Attachments

• EF2A65DA-F7B7-4CC0-9AF8-7B6E9FDCC020.jpeg
    EF2A65DA-F7B7-4CC0-9AF8-7B6E9FDCC020.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom