• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First good find!

Gmartin

What is the best way to clean a 1858 flying eagle penny? Any good home remedies? I want to clear it up without ruining it. Thanks in advance. Turn picture sideways.

Attachments

• FFFBDA28-A7A8-4D41-ADB6-38E6F5893944.jpg
    FFFBDA28-A7A8-4D41-ADB6-38E6F5893944.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 586
Thank you Jer-man...hoping to find a way to clean it up better without ruining it.

Nice find! If you do figure out how to clean it let me know. I've tried a few methods on some lesser value finds and so far killed all of them. I'd leave it as is if it we're me.

Congratulations on nice find. Still on my list. Only know don't use vinegar and salt, not good, been there, done that.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I don't either.. Just wanted to Congrats you on the find

What is the best way to clean a 1858 flying eagle penny? Any good home remedies? I want to clear it up without ruining it. Thanks in advance. Turn picture sideways.

Awesome find! My suggestion is to not clean it at all. I used to try my darndest to clean my found coins, and what I determined is that they never reach my expectations of clean. I’ve learned to appreciate the look of dugs coins and don’t do much cleaning anymore.

My advice is don't clean it. Those copper nickel coins don't get any better and may get worse when cleaned. (my experience)

If u absolutely want to mess with it, nothing more than dry toothbrushing it.....no olive oil, maybe use a tooth pick a little......I would take your finger....run it a long side your nose, and rub the coin with some oil off your face.... that helps bring some detail out

Great find!

If u absolutely want to mess with it, nothing more than dry toothbrushing it.....no olive oil, maybe use a tooth pick a little......I would take your finger....run it a long side your nose, and rub the coin with some oil off your face.... that helps bring some detail out

Great find!

That nose oil trick is a good one! Comes in handy on all sorts of fine things throughout a guys Life...Knife blades to fishing rod ferrules! I commend you for knowing this!

That nose oil trick is a good one! Comes in handy on all sorts of fine things throughout a guys Life...Knife blades to fishing rod ferrules! I commend you for knowing this!

Just be careful not to let your finger slip inside your nose. That is NOT oil and really "buggers things up"! :laughing:

Great find!

I do this when using a bowdrill for fire. nose oil trick is super handy for all sorts of stuff

Just be careful not to let your finger slip inside your nose. That is NOT oil and really "buggers things up"! :laughing:
Now that's funny I don't care who ya are. Now on to the coin, IMHO leave it as is. Wash the loose crude off with soap and water, pat dry, and if you want to see a little more detail gently rub something like a soft wax on it. Congrats on a great find. One I am yet to find.

Back
Top Bottom