• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

This Is The Kind Of Week It's Been! Coins, Gold, 8,000 Year Old Point!

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Been "HOT" and rainy, and got out to do some old coin shooting. Did manage some nice finds.

Here are the best coin finds. The area I hunted was developed in the 40's, a post war boom.

Found this nice vintage lipstick tube. Nice art deco on it!

Lots of rain had raised the river level, covering up some good gold producing areas. This is my favorite combination of sluice bed matting....."Expanded aluminum over miners moss over vortex matting." This is my result from 3 hours digging by myself, and 2 hours digging with my buddy

I dug up this really old quartzite stone spear point. An archaeologist validated it and said it was about 8,000 years old! Youzers......GREAT FIND!

And.......some petrified wood!

And.....a fossil! Great week it's been.

Sorry but that is a soldering Iron tip not a copper arrow head.
Common from the early 1900's to present day.

Great lipstick tube and nice bit of fine yellow stuff.

Last edited:
I found that same button, bottom right in your first pic about 2 years ago.
Congrats on some nice finds! And the gold too!

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

That copper tip is hollow, and there was still filaments of wood in there. I also thought of that being a soldering iron, but it was filled with the remains of an arrow? It's size (in pic) would be proper too. Maybe it was a soldering tip, and a guy put it on an arrow.......weird! :confused:

That copper tip is hollow, and there was still filaments of wood in there. I also thought of that being a soldering iron, but it was filled with the remains of an arrow? It's size (in pic) would be proper too. Maybe it was a soldering tip, and a guy put it on an arrow.......weird! :confused:

Yea weird.

The more I think on this and looking at the pics closer it does seem to be an arrow point. Like to see it in person and examine how to was constructed.
There must be an interesting story there.
Maybe it is an arrow head but how old?

Last edited:
Yeah you had a wonderful haul of finds John! I agree though, thats not an Indian copper arrow point...Indians did not have deep draw machinery to produce such an item...its from somebody tipping a wood arrow with a cast off modern piece of metal...

I used to make my own wood arrows out of Port Orford cedar blanks...back in the 70's...some of them I would simply slide and crimp a .38 shell casing over the shaft to make myself a small game/rabbit killer blunt...Yeah, I'da used that soldering iron tip for such a purpose...

Yea weird.

The more I think on this and looking at the pics closer it does seem to be an arrow point. Like to see it in person and examine how to was constructed.
There must be an interesting story there.
Maybe it is an arrow head but how old?

Yeah you had a wonderful haul of finds John! I agree though, thats not an Indian copper arrow point...Indians did not have deep draw machinery to produce such an item...its from somebody tipping a wood arrow with a cast off modern piece of metal...

I used to make my own wood arrows out of Port Orford cedar blanks...back in the 70's...some of them I would simply slide and crimp a .38 shell casing over the shaft to make myself a small game/rabbit killer blunt...Yeah, I'da used that soldering iron tip for such a purpose...

I think everyone is thinking that John meant that the copper arrowhead is 8,000 years old because a pic of it is shown before the actual 8,000 year old spear point he found. I am sure John is not saying that the copper arrowhead is an Indian artifact or 8,000 years old. He's just posting a pic of it since it was one of his finds. I agree with John that it is indeed an arrowhead. I've shot a whole bunch of arrows with those kind of tips on them. Here's some you can buy...https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/12x-Archery-Arrow-Practice-Points-Arrow-Heads-Hunting-Point-Field-Points-Tips/282754729741?hash=item41d57ec70d:m:mYawuwPRQgJ3YLoVKJ5l5sg&var=582031547223

Great report John! You really put in some effort when you play: Detecting, rock hounding, and all that digging. Love the stone spear point! It's unusually big, and broad, and rounded. Looks like some kind of quartzite?

That copper tip isn't a native artifact. I never said that. It's probably a practice arrow head from the 50's. But, if you give me the coordinates of a nearby park, I will shoot it there for you to analyze and keep! :laughing:

That’s an awesome hunt, an 8,000 year old point? Wow

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas special edition.
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring
Total clad 2018 - 45$

I think everyone is thinking that John meant that the copper arrowhead is 8,000 years old because a pic of it is shown before the actual 8,000 year old spear point he found. I am sure John is not saying that the copper arrowhead is an Indian artifact or 8,000 years old. He's just posting a pic of it since it was one of his finds. I agree with John that it is indeed an arrowhead. I've shot a whole bunch of arrows with those kind of tips on them. Here's some you can buy...https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/12x-Archery-Arrow-Practice-Points-Arrow-Heads-Hunting-Point-Field-Points-Tips/282754729741?hash=item41d57ec70d:m:mYawuwPRQgJ3YLoVKJ5l5sg&var=582031547223

I first thought not an 8000 yo arrow point but quickly realized that is the stone piece that is 8000yo.

The difference of the arrow point found and the one in your link (and all I have seen/used) is conical verse trapezoid tip. That is why it first looked like a soldering iron tip to me.

I can see that this was probably made from a sheet of copper with the triangle tip parts cut. Then rolled and the tip parts folded in then soldered.
That is how I would make this with hand tools.

It is a very interesting find.

Nice stuff John as always. Perhaps this is "hijacking" your thread, but here are my copper culture pieces, maybe 3-4000 years old;)

Attachments

• 5-16-18 coppers.jpg
    5-16-18 coppers.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 260

Hey mud, I found one of your blunt arrowheads today. I think this one may be a .32.

Attachments

• DSCN7316.jpg
    DSCN7316.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN7317.jpg
    DSCN7317.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 199
Back
Top Bottom